How to count words in Excel.
Thread poster: Adela Van Gils

Adela Van Gils  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:19
German to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 12, 2005

I imagine that I am not the first one to ask this question. But than I do not know how to track earlier asked questions. Thanks.
So I am asking two things at the same time.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 04:19
English to Russian
+ ...
One primitive way Mar 12, 2005

Possible for some files:

Copy and paste in Word. Bring a cursor to the left cell in the top row, click the mouse, hit and hold Shift and then click on the right cell of the bottom row. You'll get the whole sheet copied.

The format will or could be all messed up but the word count will be correct.

Jacqueline van der Spek  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Practicount Mar 12, 2005

Hi Adela,

I always use Practicount to count words in any sort of document and the neat thing is it also makes a great looking invoice.

Definitely worth the money!

HTH,
Jacqueline

Maricica W.  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...

You can use the "search forums" box in the upper right corner of every forum page.

All the best,
Veronica

gad
United States
Local time: 05:19
French to English
I usually copy and past the text in Word Mar 15, 2005

...since there doesn't seem to be a word count function in the version of Excel I use (2003).

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Easier way to copy all Mar 18, 2005

IreneN wrote:

Possible for some files:

Copy and paste in Word. Bring a cursor to the left cell in the top row, click the mouse, hit and hold Shift and then click on the right cell of the bottom row. You'll get the whole sheet copied.

The format will or could be all messed up but the word count will be correct.

CTRL+A will select your entire worksheet. They you can copy using the menu or CTRL+C.

David Sirett
French to English
+ ...
Just open in Word Mar 18, 2005

Rather than copy/paste, just open the Excel file directly in Word. It'll be all messed up, but all the words will be there (excluding any in other documents embedded in the Excel file), so you can just count in Word.

David

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oops - you had 2 questions Apr 23, 2005

Adela Van Gils wrote:

I imagine that I am not the first one to ask this question. But than I do not know how to track earlier asked questions. Thanks.
So I am asking two things at the same time.

I missed the second one the first time I responded.

I remembered that the topic had been discussed before, but didn't remember in which forum. I found the earlier discussion by typing

Word count Excel

into the Search box at the top of the page where I read your thread and doing the search.
I think that covers your second question.

FYI.

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I do it with Trados Apr 23, 2005

it can take a while, but it does the job

kairosz (Mary Guerrero)  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:19
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you very much, David. I followed your advise and it actually counted word. Apr 24, 2005

David Sirett wrote:

Rather than copy/paste, just open the Excel file directly in Word. It'll be all messed up, but all the words will be there (excluding any in other documents embedded in the Excel file), so you can just count in Word.

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words in Excel.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search