Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 31, 2005

I need to get Microsoft Word. Is there somewhere I can download it? Does anyone know how much it costs? Is it necessary first to have Microsoft Office and Windows installed?

Thanks for any input.

Thomas

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:16
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
MS Word and alternatives Mar 31, 2005

Thomas Johansson wrote:

I need to get Microsoft Word. Is there somewhere I can download it? Does anyone know how much it costs? Is it necessary first to have Microsoft Office and Windows installed?

Thanks for any input.

Thomas

Dear Thomas,
MS Word is a commercial product, available only for sale and probably not available for download, due to its size.

You can find it virtually in any computer shop. It is also available as a single product, but you may find that its price is very close to the price of a basic configuration for an Office suite, so you may consider buying it as part of Office rather than as stand-alone product.

Alternatively, if you don't really need "the real thing" there are some good clones available for free or at low cost.

Search on the Internet for Open Office or Star Office (the same product, but SO is sold by Sun).
The word processor included in these products is 'similar' and somehow compatible with MS Word but they lack some features, for example they have no VBA or an incomplete, not compatible version of it.
If you don't need these special features, you may try and use OO/SO instead.

Gianfranco

To Download OpenOffice (freeware):
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/openoffice.html
http://downloads.vnunet.com/download/office/openoffice/_468.html
and many other sites.
You can also commonly find it on CD/DVD on computing magazines.

[Edited at 2005-03-31 12:59]

Alison Gaunt
Local time: 06:16
German to English
+ ...
MS Works would be cheaper Mar 31, 2005

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Thanks for any input.

Thomas

If you only want Word, buy the Microsoft Works package which doesn't have all the frills of Office but does have the FULL version of Word. In the UK that costs under £100 (I think), as opposed to several hundred ££ for the full Office suite.
Don't try to download it, even if that is possible (which I doubt), because the download would be HUGE.
I imagine you need Windows - since without an operating system you can't do anything at all... but it should be possible to find out if Word runs under e.g. Linux - I would think so.
Hope that helps?
Alison Gaunt

pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:16
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
Works is good Mar 31, 2005

Alison Gaunt wrote:

If you only want Word, buy the Microsoft Works package which doesn't have all the frills of Office but does have the FULL version of Word.

Works currently has Word 2002, and is an excellent bargain, as long as you don't need Word 2003. There are several improvements over Word 1997 (which was my previous version)

but it should be possible to find out if Word runs under e.g. Linux

Word doesn't but OpenOffice does.

Also, you need to be aware that OpenOffice and Word use different macro languages; this is either a bug or a feature, depending on your point of view.

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 31, 2005

Thank you very much, everyone, for these replies. It puts us on the right way.

I have some experience of Open Office but would not recommend it as a substitute. There were certain things it could not handle accurately. Things I remember I used to get particularly annoyed about was that cell padding space typically disappeared from table structures and that it was not possibly to work with highlighting.

Anyway, thanks again, all. If anyone has more input, please by all means continue posting, as we are still looking for a solution. Maybe someone has a used copy to sell?

Best,

Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Word: How to get it ?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search