Vanishing text
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 1, 2017

I have never seen this before. An agency sent me zipped doc-files for translation and asked for an offer. I created a project in Studio 2015 and selected the files. When I clicked Next a box appears saying I have to select at least one translatable file. In the list the files where marked as reference.
I opened one file in Word 2016 and saved it as docx. When the saving operation was done, the text in the file vanished in front of my eyes, only the page headers remained. The file was empty.
The same happened with all the others. So the content must be protected from conversion.
When I open a file in OpenOffice Writer the content looked quite different from Word, but also here everything vanished when saved to an other format.
It seems though to be possible to translate the files in Word with WFC.

The agency promised to send a Studio package next week. We will see.

[Bearbeitet am 2017-04-01 04:53 GMT]


 

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 00:47
English to German
Empty file or invisible content? Apr 2, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When the saving operation was done, the text in the file vanished in front of my eyes, only the page headers remained. The file was empty.


Empty or just white letters on a white background? Or huge (larger than the screen's height) portions of empty lines?


 

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:47
Member
French to English
+ ...
Following on from what Rolf said... Apr 2, 2017

Is the file size similar, or much-reduced? I.e. has data actually been lost?
I would start by using "Select all..." to see if there is anything there? Try highighting and/or changing the ink colour to reveal if there is 'white' text; and equally, try "Clear all formatting"

I have had consistent problems when opening .DOC files in Open Office, with, for example, highlighting getting converted into a 'backgrund fill', which of course is much harder to get rid of! And other formatting issues, so nothing surprises me any more...

If you are able to send me the file, I could see what results I get here...

Is it possible to select all the text, then copy and paste "Unformatted text" into a virgin document?

If all else fails, can you print to PDF?

I assume you did 'unzip' the files before trying to open them? I've occasionally had problems with files opened directly from Zip.

[Modifié le 2017-04-02 10:14 GMT]


 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no text Apr 2, 2017

The page number grows from 28 to 1200+ but no text is there. As I mentioned Studio 2015 does not find translatable content when loading them. But WFC did perform an analysis.

 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:47
Member
English to Italian
Copypaste Apr 2, 2017

Can't you just copy the text from the original file and paste it to Notepad (txt) or Wordpad (rtf)?

Of course, if there is special formatting in the source file, you would lose some or all of it, but in theory you could start translating and then apply the resulting TM to the new files you'll be sent...


 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way Apr 2, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Can't you just copy the text from the original file and paste it to Notepad (txt) or Wordpad (rtf)?

Of course, if there is special formatting in the source file, you would lose some or all of it, but in theory you could start translating and then apply the resulting TM to the new files you'll be sent...


These are very sensitive files for parts of an important nuclear plant. The files contain tables, drawings, different text formats etc. Nobody will pay me for translating a txt-file.


 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:47
Member
English to Italian
TM Apr 2, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

These are very sensitive files for parts of an important nuclear plant. The files contain tables, drawings, different text formats etc. Nobody will pay me for translating a txt-file.


That might perhaps be your problem, right there? (i.e. the text being in images, tables, etc.)

As I said, however, the idea was not to return a translated txt (or rtf), but just building a TM with the translated text and then apply the TM to the new files you'll be sent (IF your problem is that you can't/don't want to wait until the client sends you the new files, that is...).


 

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:47
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Text is non-editable Apr 2, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I have never seen this before. An agency sent me zipped doc-files for translation and asked for an offer. I created a project in Studio 2015 and selected the files. When I clicked Next a box appears saying I have to select at least one translatable file. In the list the files where marked as reference.
I opened one file in Word 2016 and saved it as docx. When the saving operation was done, the text in the file vanished in front of my eyes, only the page headers remained. The file was empty.
The same happened with all the others. So the content must be protected from conversion.
When I open a file in OpenOffice Writer the content looked quite different from Word, but also here everything vanished when saved to an other format.
It seems though to be possible to translate the files in Word with WFC.

The agency promised to send a Studio package next week. We will see.

[Bearbeitet am 2017-04-01 04:53 GMT]


if these are reference files of highly sensitive nature, no wonder that the client has encoded them in order to avoid any possibility of leaking.

[Edited at 2017-04-02 11:31 GMT]


 

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 00:47
English to German
Macro Apr 2, 2017

The .doc could include a macro that makes the text unvisible when a Save or Save As command is given.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vanishing text

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search