https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/32436-excel_sheet_in_powerpoint.html

Excel sheet in PowerPoint
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:42
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
May 17, 2005

I translated an Excel sheet inserted in a PowerPoint slide but the fonts got larger and I had to deliver the translation with an Excel sheet much larger than the place for it. The client said that there's no problem, but how can I solve this for next time?
I also have this problem of fonts becoming larger when I copy and paste within the PPT slides. Is it normal?

Thank you

Claudia

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 11:42
English
Yes, it's normal May 17, 2005

MSFT's applications, especially PowerPoint, are well-known for their inability to maintain formatting when moved from one user's computer to another.

Some of the formatting will be from the document, some will be affected by your own settings, and even the language your OS was installed for.

It's a nuisance.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:42
English to German
To edit the embedded Excel sheet, use "Open" rather than "Edit" May 17, 2005

A few years ago, your first problem (fonts in PPT-embedded Excel file growing upon edit) almost drove me crazy (the file had 20+ embedded Excel sheets, and modifying the look of the file was out of the question.

As I later (too late) found out, if I opened the embedded files rather than just double-clicking on them to edit them "in place", sizes remained intact. To do so, right-click on the embedded spreadsheet, and c
... See more
A few years ago, your first problem (fonts in PPT-embedded Excel file growing upon edit) almost drove me crazy (the file had 20+ embedded Excel sheets, and modifying the look of the file was out of the question.

As I later (too late) found out, if I opened the embedded files rather than just double-clicking on them to edit them "in place", sizes remained intact. To do so, right-click on the embedded spreadsheet, and choose "Open" (instead of choosing "Edit" or just double-clicking on the embedded spreadsheet). This opens the embedded file in a separate Excel window rather than within PP.

I'd be curious to know whether that works in your case too. I suspect that the problem might have something to do with scaling the embedded file after importing it into PP. When you edit the Excel object (by double-clicking), scaling information may be lost. But that's just conjecture, I haven't verified it.

As to the second problem, I'm afraid I cannot offer any clues.

Endre
_________

On second thoughts: if copy-and-paste refers to the embedded Excel files (rather than just formatted text as I first assumed), the scaling issue might come into play here as well. Maybe you could play around with the size/scaling settings (right-click -> "Format object" -> "Size"), compare settings before and after copying, etc.

E.

[Edited at 2005-05-17 17:37]
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:42
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both May 26, 2005

Dear Endre

Thank you very much for your answer. I tried and tried and tried again but couldn't change anything. If I look at the size of the fonts in the Excel sheet they are the same than in the original, but they look much bigger. I looked for an option that would allow me to reduce the size of what I see (as we have in PDF or Word) without changing the actual size, but couldn't find it.

Maybe if I had done the translation as you explained it would have been possible,
... See more
Dear Endre

Thank you very much for your answer. I tried and tried and tried again but couldn't change anything. If I look at the size of the fonts in the Excel sheet they are the same than in the original, but they look much bigger. I looked for an option that would allow me to reduce the size of what I see (as we have in PDF or Word) without changing the actual size, but couldn't find it.

Maybe if I had done the translation as you explained it would have been possible, next time I'll try before translating.

When I spoke about copy-paste it was just text in PowerPoint, not in the Excel sheet.
Imagine that I have a sentence with noun + adjective and I want to put them the other way round, I copy the adjective and paste it before the noun, it is copied larger, in another font size, but it's easy to correct Time consuming though).

Thanks anyway.

Claudia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel sheet in PowerPoint

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »