Hanging stuff in MS Word
Thread poster: Daniel Frisano

Daniel Frisano
Switzerland
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 30

In MS Word I have a (justified) paragraph that looks like this:

klohqjjkibjplvekroie.jpg

Percent signs hanging out of the right paragraph margin, and the same thing occurs with parentheses, brackets, full stops, quotes...

Huh? Is this an option? Can you select/deselect it?


hamzakhanhkeo
 

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 10:49
English to German
No option but a fault? Jul 30

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Is this an option? Can you select/deselect it?

As there is no object of it, it's no option but a fault I think.

Did you type that example or is it a file from a client? Clients often deliver files that were converted from or generated by Word 1995 or AstrangeSoftware Vx.x.

Try a different font. Replace the % by an %.


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Daniel Jul 30

Daniel Frisano wrote:
Huh? Is this an option? Can you select/deselect it?


I'm not quite sure what it is that you want or do not want.


 

Adrien Esparron
Local time: 10:49
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Show all characters Jul 30

Hello,

Could you show us the same text with all hidden chars? Could be an explanation there (hope so...).

Kind regards

f83adro36lilbywhpizy.png


 

Amel Abdullah  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Justified Text Jul 30

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not quite sure what it is that you want or do not want.


He doesn't want the % symbols hanging off the side.


 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:49
English to Russian
Try hanging punctuation Jul 30

Try Home tab => Paragraph => Asian Typography => Uncheck the 'Allow hanging punctuation' box.
Also try this: File => Options => Advanced => Compatibility options for => select the version of MS Word then search for and fiddle with the options relating to 'hanging punctuation'.
Just wild guess...

[Edited at 2018-07-30 10:21 GMT]


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
% Jul 30

You wouldn't want the % jumping to the next line, would you? This is MS Word being intelligent. It would be incorrect and possibly misleading to write something like 20
% and then carry on with more percentages, such as 17
% and so on.

I can only suggest that you fiddle with the ruler, or artfully reword your translation in such a way that all the numbers, with their % characters, jump to the next line.

[Edited at 2018-07-30 10:33 GMT]


 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:49
English to Russian
With normal behavior, Jul 30

% would neither jump alone nor hang on the margin. If there is enough room for '20%', all symbols will remain at the end of the line. If there is no place for all symbols, they would jump to the next line (all three symbols).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_punctuation


MollyRose
 

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 10:49
English to German
A mistake is a mistake is a mistake Jul 30

Tom in London wrote:

You wouldn't want the % jumping to the next line, would you? This is MS Word being intelligent. It would be incorrect and possibly misleading to write something like 20
% and then carry on with more percentages, such as 17
% and so on.

I disagree. it's not intelligent but a serious typesetting mistake to violate a set column border under whatever circumstances. Of course the line break can&must be automatically inserted before the number.

FWIW, my German Word 2016 (Windows version) doesn't show this effect in Englisch and German formatted texts.


 

Daniel Frisano
Switzerland
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jul 30

Stepan Konev wrote:

Try Home tab => Paragraph => Asian Typography => Uncheck the 'Allow hanging punctuation' box.
Also try this: File => Options => Advanced => Compatibility options for => select the version of MS Word then search for and fiddle with the options relating to 'hanging punctuation'.
Just wild guess...



Selecting [File > Options > Advanced > Compatibility options for > Use Word 2003 hanging-punctuation rules] did the job (solution A).

Solution B is [File > Info > Compatibility mode > Convert > OK], which gives a slightly different result. (This is Office 2016, by the way.)

Top to bottom: original, solution A, solution B:

ajbwkvqkoaegredj2lpw.jpg


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One solution I have seen (and hate) Jul 30

Daniel Frisano wrote:
...


Aah, okay. One solution that I have seen in texts by other translators is to add a non-breaking space after *every* number and punctuation mark. You can write a little macro to do that at the end of your translation.


 

Daniel Frisano
Switzerland
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stretchable non-breaking space? Jul 30

Samuel Murray wrote:

One solution that I have seen in texts by other translators is to add a non-breaking space after *every* number and punctuation mark.



The problem with non-breaking spaces is that they don't stretch in justified paragraphs. In most documents this isn't an issue, since you can hardly spot the difference between a stretched and a non-stretched space.

It becomes an issue with the ugly huge-margin Courier New format that is widely used for patents. Like this:

fpajxxdyxwxk619p3uio.jpg

Lines 1-4 each have a non-breaking space, after numerals in lines 1, 3, 4, and (less noticeably) after the full stop in line 2. Doesn't look good.

Since we're at it, is there a way to make stretchable non-breaking spaces in MS Word?


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Actually Jul 30

Rolf Keller wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

You wouldn't want the % jumping to the next line, would you? This is MS Word being intelligent. It would be incorrect and possibly misleading to write something like 20
% and then carry on with more percentages, such as 17
% and so on.

I disagree. it's not intelligent but a serious typesetting mistake to violate a set column border under whatever circumstances. Of course the line break can&must be automatically inserted before the number.

FWIW, my German Word 2016 (Windows version) doesn't show this effect in Englisch and German formatted texts.



Actually you're agreeing !


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hanging stuff in MS Word

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search