Lots of problems with autocorrect in word 2002
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:36
Spanish to English
Jun 13, 2005

Help!
I've always relied heavily on autocorrect for typing short-cuts but, since I changed to word 2002 on windows XP, the most mysterious things happen with it.

1) The most frustrating: it is totally hit-or-miss if it will autocorrect while I am writing, it often doesn't.

2) The strangest: perfectly good words will be changed, often it will be the first letter, "live" to "hive" for example, and they are not in the autocorrect vocabulary, that would be too easy to correct. Just now, "behind" was changed to "venid".

3)This is best explained with an example:
I have "cal" as a short-cut for "calculation"
but recently when I wrote anthropological it was changed to anthropologicalculation"

The most serious and frequent problem is number one in my list, has anyone any suggestions about how to fix this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 14:36
Catalan to English
+ ...
Hi Lesley Jun 13, 2005

Lesley Clarke wrote:

Help!
I've always relied heavily on autocorrect for typing short-cuts but, since I changed to word 2002 on windows XP, the most mysterious things happen with it.

1) The most frustrating: it is totally hit-or-miss if it will autocorrect while I am writing, it often doesn't.

2) The strangest: perfectly good words will be changed, often it will be the first letter, "live" to "hive" for example, and they are not in the autocorrect vocabulary, that would be too easy to correct. Just now, "behind" was changed to "venid".

3)This is best explained with an example:
I have "cal" as a short-cut for "calculation"
but recently when I wrote anthropological it was changed to anthropologicalculation"

The most serious and frequent problem is number one in my list, has anyone any suggestions about how to fix this?

The only suggestion I can offer for 1) which may partially help is to watch which dictionary you're using.
The autocorrect options used for US English will not be applied in UK or any other form of English and vice versa, of course.

For 3), it would be a question of inserting a space before "cal" in the autocorrect entry.

HTH,
Andy

Hi again,

Just typed "behind" in a document for which the Spanish dictionary is selected. It was immediately replaced with "venid" - I'd say the two problems are related to which dictionary you're choosing. (Or the default one, naturally)

[Edited at 2005-06-13 18:42]

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:36
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
It must be a language setting Jun 13, 2005

Like Andy, I could reproduce the behind - venid miracle when the language is set to Spanish.

Maybe Spanish is now your default language setting or maybe you should disable Tools/Language/Set Language/Detect language automatically.

Regards,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lots of problems with autocorrect in word 2002

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search