Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2005

Windows XP, Windows 2000.

I am working on a text in 3 columns, in table format.

I did something, when shifting the lines between columns, and now the extreme left line (the outside line left facing me), is not 'on' the page, even in normal view, which means half my text is not visible and can't be worked with unless I go to Start of the line. But obviously I don't want to return it like this anyway.

How can it fix this? TIA:-)

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Normal View Jun 18, 2005

If you switch to Normal View, you should be able to fix this problem. Make sure the column borders are visible (Tools - Show Gridlines). In Normal View there is no left and right border of the page, so you should be able to grab the vertical column border that has fallen off the page and bring it back into the page. (Use the horizontal ruler above the document to see what is inside the page).

I hope this helps.

Csaba

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Mark the whole table Jun 18, 2005

right click on it, select "Table properties".
Look through each register and check, if all settings are ok.
On the first register you can ie find how the table is aligned on the page (to left, to right, centered) and how big the distance between the left border of the page and the left margin of the table is. If the value there is negative, your table goes beyond the left border to the left side.
There you can also foce the table to have a defined width.
You can also set
... See more
On the first register you can ie find how the table is aligned on the page (to left, to right, centered) and how big the distance between the left border of the page and the left margin of the table is. If the value there is negative, your table goes beyond the left border to the left side.
You can also set the widt of each column individaully. To do that choose the register "Column".

This is a very usefull feature.
As allways in Word, right clicking lets you get the properties of the selected object. There you can do all settings you need.
And don't hesitate to ask Word for help. The help function in Word is one of its best - but looking at the forum here seems to be the most underestimated one

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Csaba Jun 19, 2005

Csaba Ban wrote:

If you switch to Normal View, you should be able to fix this problem. Make sure the column borders are visible (Tools - Show Gridlines). In Normal View there is no left and right border of the page, so you should be able to grab the vertical column border that has fallen off the page and bring it back into the page. (Use the horizontal ruler above the document to see what is inside the page).

I hope this helps.

Csaba

Thanks Csaba

I have tried this, but the words are right on teh left margin and I can't get hold of the line.

My Options are in Spanish, to complicate things...I have tried a few to see if that would help, still no go. Even the cursor disappears left.

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzcy Jun 19, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You can also set the widt of each column individaully. To do that choose the register "Column".

This is a very usefull feature.
As allways in Word, right clicking lets you get the properties of the selected object. There you can do all settings you need.
And don't hesitate to ask Word for help. The help function in Word is one of its best - but looking at the forum here seems to be the most underestimated one

Regards
Jerzy

I experimenetd with Table Properties, found 'self-adjust to window size' and that corrected it, thanks (again)!

I have been using a computer/translating for over 10 years, I started doing both simultaneously, I never got any formal training of any kind, and work with no computer-savvy types around, so I actually never learned about software 'help' functions until about 2-3 years ago, when I was back at college and it began to dawn on me that teach was getting fed up of my inability to resize windows, create tables, etc:-)

I will bear it in mind for the next time I have a problem, although another difficulty is that I have been using a computer in English for the last 3 years, now one in Spanish, so sometimes, matching concepts is a bit difficult:-)

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I didn't want to hurt you in any way Jun 19, 2005

with my statement regarding the usage of help.
You can ask here any time you want, but the advices you get will mainly be in English, but will be based mostly on a very different version of Word, as you use yourself. This was no the case - I use german Word, you probably use spanish one, and we correspond in English. So the names of registers, windows, functions and so on may differ very much. Thats why the help function may deliver better information - it gives you the exact names of nece
... See more
with my statement regarding the usage of help.
You can ask here any time you want, but the advices you get will mainly be in English, but will be based mostly on a very different version of Word, as you use yourself. This was no the case - I use german Word, you probably use spanish one, and we correspond in English. So the names of registers, windows, functions and so on may differ very much. Thats why the help function may deliver better information - it gives you the exact names of necessary functions, and mostly gives even a driect link to what you need

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
try this Jun 19, 2005

I suppose you are working on a table. As you explain, the left column starts off the page, on the left side.
Switch to Page View. Make sure the ruler is visible above the page (if not: View - Ruler). On the ruler itself, try to find the spot with the cursor that is to the left of the page and shows a little double-pointed arrow when you pull the cursor over it.
The tool tip that appears must be something like "changing the column size/width".
Now, when you have this, simply p
... See more
I suppose you are working on a table. As you explain, the left column starts off the page, on the left side.
Switch to Page View. Make sure the ruler is visible above the page (if not: View - Ruler). On the ruler itself, try to find the spot with the cursor that is to the left of the page and shows a little double-pointed arrow when you pull the cursor over it.
The tool tip that appears must be something like "changing the column size/width".
Now, when you have this, simply pull back this to the right, so that this item is placed right above the page, not to the left of it.

This should work.

Csaba
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
Adjust margin Jun 19, 2005

You could try going to File/Page Setup and making the left margin larger, just temporarily. Once you can see the whole table, move the left line over to the right and then readjust the left margin of the page. I tried this and it worked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

column has 'fallen off' page

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »