Deleting Ugly vertical line from Word document
Thread poster: Andrew Stucken

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:36
German to English
Jun 13

I am using Word 2010 and a stubborn unwanted vertical line is marring a translation I am otherwise content with. It is the result of an error by the OCR software.

I cannot just click on it and delete like with other examples of this in the text.

Dodea anyone know how I can remove this, please?

José Pérez Negro
Spain
Local time: 06:36
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Select Objects Jun 13

Did you try select objects?

In Home ribbon, below Find, Replace there is a Select option. Click Select Objects and try to select it

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Remove vertical line Jun 13

Have you tried copying the text (with and without using CTRL+A to select all) over to a new document? (assuming that the text is in editable format and not as an image). Does the line follow the remaining text?

The line might also be a 'watermark' in the document - you could try removing all watermarks.

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
These methods dod not work Jun 13

Scratch what I originally wrote in my reply. Although it seams not to have been approved yet anyway by the mods.

Alas Ctrl + A did not work, nor did removing watermarks...

From googling, it seems that it could have been a border, so I set "no borders" but it still remains.

Delivery is due in >one hour so unless I can sort this I will reluctantly have to hand it over with this flaw.

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:16
... See more
Scratch what I originally wrote in my reply. Although it seams not to have been approved yet anyway by the mods.

Alas Ctrl + A did not work, nor did removing watermarks...

From googling, it seems that it could have been a border, so I set "no borders" but it still remains.

Delivery is due in >one hour so unless I can sort this I will reluctantly have to hand it over with this flaw.

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Part of a frame or table? Jun 13

Andrew Stucken wrote:

I cannot just click on it and delete like with other examples of this in the text.

Maybe it's a line belonging to a frame that is a property of a paragraph.
Maybe it's a line belonging to a table grid.

In either case all other lines of the frame resp table might be set invisible, so you see only one line.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:36
Member (2008)
French to English
Line between columns? Jun 13

I had this issue recently and discovered it was a line between columns. OCR software has a habit of putting things into columns, and sometimes a line appears between them.

If this is the case, turn it off by selecting something in the columns concerned, then go to Layout > Columns down arrow > More columns (at the bottom of the list) > Uncheck "Line between"

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved by removing line between columns Jun 13

Brilliant. Done in the nick of time.

Thankyou!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting Ugly vertical line from Word document

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search