Aligning page numbers on table of content (digital tab?)
Thread poster: Anne Lee
Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:18
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2005

Once upon a time, I used to know how to do this but I wonder whether Word 2003 no longer has this feature. I have a table to content and wish to insert a tab so that all the page numbers are neatly aligned after the headings. There is also a way to fill in the gap with dots, I believe. I did a search on proz.com and on Word with 'digital tab' but I didn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tab leader Jun 21, 2005

Hi Anne,

I think you need to use the following:

Insert -> Reference -> Table of Contents
Select Show page numbers and Right align page numbers
Select a Tab leader in the appropriate field

Good luck,
Marijke

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but what do I do with a freestanding table? Jun 21, 2005

Didn't know all that was there, Marijke. It will take some practice to master this. Many thanks.
But this only seems to work with a table of contents created from an existing document. I need to translate a freestanding table of contents because I don't have the entire text. I want to type the different headings and page numbers in myself and then ensure that the page numbers on the right are well aligned. The same feature should also allow me to align figures in a table.

[Edit
... See more
Didn't know all that was there, Marijke. It will take some practice to master this. Many thanks.
But this only seems to work with a table of contents created from an existing document. I need to translate a freestanding table of contents because I don't have the entire text. I want to type the different headings and page numbers in myself and then ensure that the page numbers on the right are well aligned. The same feature should also allow me to align figures in a table.

[Edited at 2005-06-21 10:04]
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
several options Jun 21, 2005

Hi Anne,

The simplest way to do it is to select all the text of your TOC, open the Tabs window under the Format menu, select the type of tab you want to use (Right tab is normal for page numbers appearing at the right), select a leader if you want one (such as a string of dots), and specify the tab location. If you are confident your text doesn't have any other tabbed material (e.g. for indents), you can clear all tabs before setting your own, just to eliminate any other tabs that m
... See more
Hi Anne,

The simplest way to do it is to select all the text of your TOC, open the Tabs window under the Format menu, select the type of tab you want to use (Right tab is normal for page numbers appearing at the right), select a leader if you want one (such as a string of dots), and specify the tab location. If you are confident your text doesn't have any other tabbed material (e.g. for indents), you can clear all tabs before setting your own, just to eliminate any other tabs that may already be present.

The more elegant solution is to define a style for your TOC and then set the tab in the style. After that you can apply the style to any selected text and voilà.

You can also use the ruler to set or reposition tabs. See Word Help for more info.

Afterthought: The above assumes there is a single tab character between each entry and its page number. Judging by many of the texts I receive for translation, that's not necessarily a safe assumption (some people are just too lazy to set tabs and use Word's built-in (but invisible) settings, or Word will insert tabs for you if you use 'point and click' or 'click and write' or whatever they call it). You should display the formatting characters (use the paragraph icon in the toolbar or select 'All' under Formatting Marks on the View tab card under Tools -> Options) and eliminate unnecessary tab characters.

HTH

[Edited at 2005-06-21 11:48]

[Edited at 2005-06-21 11:55]
Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I've got it. Thanks. Jun 21, 2005

That's 2 useful things I learned today; the table of contents and where the decimal tabs are. When I've got some spare time, I'll try and explore all those hidden features of Word that I usually don't bother with. Thank you, everyone.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
I love tables Jun 21, 2005

I love tables for anything that needs to be aligned, either vertically or horizontally. I rarely if ever use tabs.

Insert a table with 2 columns, type the contents in the left column and the page numbers in the right column. Adjust the vertical lines of the table to where you want them to be and adjust the row height. Then select the table, go to format borders and shading and make the lines of the table invisible.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-05 23:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aligning page numbers on table of content (digital tab?)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »