why does Word close immediately after opening a particular document?
Thread poster: Elena Ghetti

Elena Ghetti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:33
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 26, 2005

I'm using Office 2002 and I've just completed the translation of document xxx, when I opened it again to look for the translation of a word, the document closed suddenly, then Windows displayed a box saying that it was recovering data, Word opened again with a column on the left showing the recovered document - if I select the document either from this column or from its folder, it suddenly closes again (does not even leave me the time to do a copy-paste to new doc) and the data recovery starts again...

any idea why this happens and how can I recover the file?

thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
German to English
+ ...
Corrupt document? - Open and Repair Jul 26, 2005

I'm not exactly a computer expert, but I've had similar problems and I suspect your document might be corrupt. Have you tried opening it using the "open and repair" button? I actually have a German version of Word 2003, so I'm guessing that's what it is probably called in 2002 (assuming 2002 has this feature, which I think it does). Just open word, click on the open icon and then place your cursor over the document, click on the open button and it should have kind of a drop-down menu with options such as open, open as copy, open and repair, etc. etc ... It might not work, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Sarah

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word does not repair Jul 26, 2005

...click on the open button and it should have kind of a drop-down menu with options such as open, open as copy, open and repair, etc. etc ... It might not work, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Sarah[/quote]

thanks a lot Sarah, I did not know this option existed and I confirm it's there also in W2002, anyway it does not solve my problem, sigh!
Thanks a lot for trying to help!!

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Try opening it with other applications Jul 26, 2005

Does it open with WordPad? the Open With menu lists that as an option. Anything is worth trying.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Another computer Jul 26, 2005

Have you tried opening it with another computer?

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Virus check? Jul 26, 2005

My wife suggests doing a virus check on it to see if it is corrupted in that way.

Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 04:33
English
Use Open Office to de-hex it Jul 26, 2005

Your MSFT Word document has corrupted itself to the point of being unrepairable. It's "hexed".

Go to www.openoffice,org and download OpenOffice - it's a free office suite. Install it, and try to open the MSFT Word file with it. It's my ultimate rescue tool.

If it can't open the MSFT Word file, you are out of luck.

If it does open the file, SAVE AS the OpenOffice native format. You MUST use this format!

Close OpenOffice. Open it again, and reload the file you just saved. Save it again, but SAVE AS Microsoft Word format this time.

It should open properly now.

To minimize the chances of this happening, turn OFF the following Word features:
Fast Save
Auto Save
Smart tags

Kimmy
Local time: 21:33
Italian to English
+ ...
More often than not it is due to a virus! Jul 27, 2005

I had this happen recently and it was infuriating.

In the end I had to cut and paste (at the speed of light before it closed) and paste into a new document as "Unformatted Text".

I then ran a Virus update with revealed about 14 CRITICAL OBJECTS! Yikes!

Does the document have macros, hyperlinks and the like?
These could be the culprits!
Or, if it is text taken directly from a website sometimes the formatting goes pear shaped!

Good luck!

Kim

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
excuse my ignorance... Jul 27, 2005

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

MSFT Word document
MSFT Word file

What do you mean by "FT" in "MSFT"? I've always called them MSWord files...well, or M$Word files

Cheers,
Grace.

ps. btw, Elena, I have StarOffice (that should do the same as OpenOffice). If you want I can try opening your file and resaving.

[Edited at 2005-07-27 13:13]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:33
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Saving as RTF Jul 27, 2005

and then back as Word has helped me in some like cases. I don't think it's a virus, more likely a slightly corrupted Word file.
On some occasions I have sent such files to colleagues who have Open Office to re-save (these files usually opens OK in it).

Uldis

Elena Ghetti wrote:

I'm using Office 2002 and I've just completed the translation of document xxx, when I opened it again to look for the translation of a word, the document closed suddenly, then Windows displayed a box saying that it was recovering data, Word opened again with a column on the left showing the recovered document

any idea why this happens and how can I recover the file?

Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 04:33
English
MSFT = stock market name Jul 29, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

What do you mean by "FT" in "MSFT"? I've always called them MSWord files...well, or M$Word files

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT

It's their stockmarket symbol.

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Open Office worked Aug 3, 2005

Hi all,
thanks a lot for all your answers. A friend with Open Office was able to open it and give me another copy of the file. Luckily there was no virus. However I am still curious about what it is that causes this problem in Word.
thanks again!

Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:33
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you May 5, 2011

This topic was very useful. Thank you very much to all of you. The Open Office solution recovered the document.

Best

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

why does Word close immediately after opening a particular document?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search