How to find phrase (several words) with one touch in MS Word?
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2005

Oddly, I've found in Word for Windows that you cannot highlight several words, ie, a phrase, then click CTL F or H, and have that phrase appear automatically in the search window, as is the case when only one word is highlighed. Is there a workaround for that, ie, is it still possible somehow, ie, in some other fashion?

Tia
Yngve

[Edited at 2005-07-27 14:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:39
English to Czech
+ ...
Not with one touch... Jul 27, 2005

Select the phrase and press CTRL+C - CTRL+F - CTRL+V.

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The macro route? Jul 27, 2005

I knew that. However, that is a far cry from the one-touch approach. Thanks anyway for responding.

I use this feature extensively in documents that already come in a soft format, where search and replace is very useful, in fact, documents processed in this way can be handled much faster than with any alignment tool, such as Trados. Unfortunately, there ought to be a way, actually, come to think of it, maybe a macro could be composed. No, can't be done apparently, as the search and replace window is not "macrotizable."

Hynek Palatin wrote:

[Edited at 2005-07-27 18:31]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:39
English to Czech
+ ...
Macro Jul 27, 2005

You can use the following macro for searching:

Sub Find_selection()
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = Selection.Text
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindAsk
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute
End Sub

If will search for the selected text. Replacing is not so easy, because you have to enter the replacement string manually anyway. You could create a macro with a custom dialog box, but I think copying and pasting the text into the standard dialog box is easier.

Marina Herrera
United States
French to English
+ ...
Yes you can do a macro Jul 28, 2005

Yngve Roennike wrote:

I knew that. However, that is a far cry from the one-touch approach. Thanks anyway for responding.

I use this feature extensively in documents that already come in a soft format, where search and replace is very useful, in fact, documents processed in this way can be handled much faster than with any alignment tool, such as Trados. Unfortunately, there ought to be a way, actually, come to think of it, maybe a macro could be composed. No, can't be done apparently, as the search and replace window is not "macrotizable."

Hynek Palatin wrote:

[Edited at 2005-07-27 18:31]

Yes, you can do a macro to translate a series of phrases that repeat themselves in a document. And it can be as complex as your imagination can handle. I include here for you to see how I do it. If you do the first one as a macro, then go to the edit screen and copy the steps as many times as you need it, then go and replace the phrase you want to change and inser the replacement. Once you have one that does for you what you wish, it's almost miraculous what it can do! Try it and you'll like it. Here is a sample from my macro that changes all the abbreviated days of the week from English to Spanish. You can actually use this example to do yours.
Let me know if it works for you!
Macro3 Macro
' Macro recorded 5/1/2004 by
'
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
With Selection.Find
.Text = "Sun."
.Replacement.Text = "Dom."
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindAsk
.Format = False
.MatchCase = True
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
With Selection.Find
.Text = "Mon."
.Replacement.Text = "Lun."
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindAsk
.Format = False
.MatchCase = True
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
With Selection.Find
.Text = "Tue."
.Replacement.Text = "Mar."
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindAsk
.Format = False
.MatchCase = True
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
With Selection.Find
.Text = "Wed."
.Replacement.Text = "Mié."

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Splendiferous! Jul 28, 2005

Thanks to both!
I'll be giving these options a whirl, please check back later, if anything new materializes.

Well, I ran into a problem with the above, got stuck, it ain't working no more. Put it down to the impervious and nefarious structure of Word itself.

Ideally, I would also want a sweeping macro that replaces all common words in a soft file with their equivalents in the target language. The system of doing this, like I said, beats CAT tools any day, in my opinion.

I have come to the conclusion, to pick up on a previous thread, that CAT tools only are beneficial when a translation memory is provided to further assist you (or not, as the case may be).

Yngve

[Edited at 2005-08-11 02:42]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find phrase (several words) with one touch in MS Word?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search