Word Count in Word
Thread poster: sonja29 (X)
sonja29 (X)
sonja29 (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2005

Is there a way to bypass the word count default settings in Word 2003, re: 2 words separated by a slash?

I have a host of such pairs in my translation, involving terminology too, and not just the formulaic "and/or", and I would like the word count to acknowledge them as 2 words. Inserting a gap on either side of the slash pushes the words too far apart and hurts the legibility and presentation value of my work.

Thank you!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:58
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the topic Sep 8, 2005

to Office Applications forum.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Replace Sep 8, 2005

/ with for instance * /*, count and replace the other way around? Not elegant but may fit the bill.
Philippe

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
nonbreaking space Sep 8, 2005

sonja29 wrote:

Inserting a gap on either side of the slash pushes the words too far apart and hurts the legibility and presentation value of my work.

Hi Sonja,

You may put a nonbreaking space before and after the slash.
ctrl+shift+space

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Where's the problem ? Sep 8, 2005

Simply search & replace the / with a space, count your words, and close the file without saving.

HTH

John

sonja29 (X)
sonja29 (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't have my cake and eat it ... :) Sep 9, 2005

Thanks, guys for all your tips.

I was actually wondering whether there was a way to both keep the slash and have Word count words separated by slash as 2 items, but I guess there is no way to bypass that. You see, the client will receive the translation from me and do a word count, which will not tally with mine because of the slash thing.

I suppose I can replace slashes with spaces for counting and then restore the slashes for the client, with a note explaining what th
... See more
Thanks, guys for all your tips.

I was actually wondering whether there was a way to both keep the slash and have Word count words separated by slash as 2 items, but I guess there is no way to bypass that. You see, the client will receive the translation from me and do a word count, which will not tally with mine because of the slash thing.

I suppose I can replace slashes with spaces for counting and then restore the slashes for the client, with a note explaining what the actual number of words is.

I do appreciate your kind help. Thanks to all!

Sonja
Collapse

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I think you actually can have the cake and eat it too :-) Sep 9, 2005

It could be awkward to use in practice - but it works in theory.

Problem:
make MS Word count phrases like 'and/or', 'accident-prone' as two words, rather than one

Solution:
make the AutoCorrect feature to use ' / ', ' - ' (i.e. leading and trailing space behind the slash and dash) instead of the regular slash or dash, while maintaining the VISUAL appearance of no space

Steps (for the slash sign):
1. in any document type the slash between
... See more
It could be awkward to use in practice - but it works in theory.

Problem:
make MS Word count phrases like 'and/or', 'accident-prone' as two words, rather than one

Solution:
make the AutoCorrect feature to use ' / ', ' - ' (i.e. leading and trailing space behind the slash and dash) instead of the regular slash or dash, while maintaining the VISUAL appearance of no space

Steps (for the slash sign):
1. in any document type the slash between hard spaces (Ctrl-Shift-Space - I will use the underscore '_' herein) '_/_'

2. Select all the three characters

3. Display the Font dialog box (Format menu) and go to the Character Spacing tab

4. Find the Spacing field there, pick Condensed option and choose the right number of points - this is the hardest step - you will need to experiment a lot, possibly 'condensing' each character (hard space) at a time and using context 'and_/_or'

When you are happy with the result (on-screen view, printout) you will need to assign a cryptic text which is to be replaced by the string of characters you have just formated. E.g. for my own purposes I type /tn and Word automatically expands this to '[translator's note]' in italics and small font. You could try to use a combination of characters which does not have a real meaning, e.g. '/and' and this would be expanded to the whole expression 'and_/_or' formated so that it looks like 'and/or'.

The AutoCorrect feature is in Tools menu.
The '_/_' characters should be selected in step 4.

5. Go to AutoCorrect in the Tools menu.

6. In the Change filed type your cryptic text ('/and') and remember to mark the Formatted text button.

7. Click OK

The same could be done to '_-_', to have a dash surrounded by invisible non-breaking spaces, so that Word counts words joined by the dash as two words.

Naturally, the customer could find out that you are 'messing' around with the spaces and trying to charge a few pennies extra, but that's a different story.

HTH

Marek
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Count in Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »