Thread poster: Kirstin B.
Kirstin B.
Kirstin B.
United States
Local time: 16:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2005

I have been using Russian versions of MS Access as an address book. When I have tried to transfer my MS files (Excel, Word, Access) to an English version of Office, I can use Word and Excel without a problem, but none of my Cyrillic characters will translate into Access. I think I may have to retype all my contacts!

Is there a way to get the MS Access English version to recognize the Cyrillic characters? I've adjusted regional settings, downloaded keyboards -- to no avail. Do I have
... See more
I have been using Russian versions of MS Access as an address book. When I have tried to transfer my MS files (Excel, Word, Access) to an English version of Office, I can use Word and Excel without a problem, but none of my Cyrillic characters will translate into Access. I think I may have to retype all my contacts!

Is there a way to get the MS Access English version to recognize the Cyrillic characters? I've adjusted regional settings, downloaded keyboards -- to no avail. Do I have to install a Russian Office version on my computer? And if I do, will it be compatible with an English version of Windows?

Also, when I try to open MS Word files saved in Cyrillic characters from the desktop, I get the error message, "This file name is not valid." I can open the documents, but only from Word itself. Any ideas?

(I know it will work if I switch both the OS and Office over to Russian versions, but I'm wondering if the English versions can support it.)

Do I have to buy Russian support software from Microsoft? And if I do, will they have any techs with the IT savvy to answer questions about usage of the system in a bilingual format?

Thanks for your ideas.

[Edited at 2005-09-30 20:19]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:15
German to English
+ ...
Fonts Sep 30, 2005

Is there a way to get the MS Access English version to recognize the Cyrillic characters? I've adjusted regional settings, downloaded keyboards --

In other words you've tried everything at:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx#EVE

This and all other Microsoft documentation I've seen indicates that implementation of Cyrillic support should be quite easy.

You don't say about having made any checks regarding the font. Besides checking the coding of the font (whether it's Unicode or whatever) you were using in your Access address book and referring to the last sections of the Microsoft reference have you checked that there are Cyrillic characters in the font(s) you are using on your English system? (Try scrolling through the insert special character option.)

Most fonts do include the Cyrillic alphabet, of course, but not quite all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't make Cyrillic (Russian) entries in English version of MS Access

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »