Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 9, 2005

I got a file with parts in it marked with yellow. Is it possible to make the Search and Replace function of Word recognise these and convert them so, that CAT-tools would recognise the rest as non translatable?
Or to remove the rest and leave the yellow parts?

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:53
Member (2002)
German to English
Yes it's possible Nov 9, 2005

I have the German version of Word. In the "Suchen & Ersetzen" function click on "Erweitern" and then "Format" and then "Zeichen", where you can set the text colour (Schriftfarbe) and background colour (Farbe).
Leave the box for the text to be searched for empty, unless of course you are looking for specific characters.

Addendum:
Sorry, the advice above only helps you find the yellow text; how to convert it still a problem.

[Edited at 2005-11-09 14:10]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
If you mean highlighted yellow Nov 9, 2005

then it is not so easy, as far as I can say (unfortunately highlighting is not among the options of text formatting when you serch and replace, at least in my Word 2002; perhaps W2003 has it?); if I am right here, you will have to use VBA, with the main step going something like:

If Not(MyRange.HighlightColorIndex = wd Yellow) Then

[replace MyRange with nothing, i.e.,. empty string]

Else

[go on]

End If

Depending on the size of document, you may go by individual characters (which may take a long time), i.e., select one character after another, put MyRange to be this character, go through the step, take another character, etc.; or do some more work and select MyRange as "continuous highlighted" chunks of the text (come to think of it, I am not sure how much processing time you would save on the latter variant, if any).

If you do not feel like programming, you can select manually the non-highlighted text and delete it, of course It is up to you what is more time consuming for you and how often you think you will use the feature in the future.

HTH
Antonin

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Do you mean it's highlighted? Nov 9, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I got a file with parts in it marked with yellow. Is it possible to make the Search and Replace function of Word recognise these and convert them so, that CAT-tools would recognise the rest as non translatable?
Or to remove the rest and leave the yellow parts?

Regards
Heinrich

There's a couple of ways to do this, depending on which version of Word you have.

First, when you say "marked in yellow," do you mean highlighted? If so, then it's quite simple to make Search/Replace find them. Use the Search/Find function, click on "more" for more options, then under "Format" click highlight. As mentioned above, don't enter any characters unless you are looking for a particular text. You can also set that the highlight all NON highlighted text, which lets you get rid of it.

If you have Word XP or newer, you can select all of the highlight text at once through Format/Styles and Formatting. You then have a variety of options on working with CAT tools, such as making the highlighted section into a non-translatable style, or vice-versa.

Good luck!

Steven

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thats it Nov 9, 2005

Seems to work, hope wf will handle this file accordingly.
Thanks a lot!
Heinrich

After all it was of no use, since Wf crashed word when translating.
I had to use force-segment.
But it was a strangely formatted document in the first place.
It least I know now how to find these highlighted parts using the Search-function.

[Edited at 2005-11-10 03:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yellow marked text, how to recognise it

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search