TRADOS Viewing problem with MS Office Word 2003
Thread poster: Jonathan Widell
Jonathan Widell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:10
English to Finnish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2005

I have MS Office Word 2003. I have Trados 7 Freelance.

I was working on a TRADOS document, and both segments were visible in the entire document (as they should): each segment was visible with the original text coupled with the target text. Then I pressed the "reading layout" by mistake, which eliminated the horizontal scroll bar, the vertical scroll bar and the segmentation of the Trados document. Now, when I open the document, I can only see the translated text, not the source text, unless I go through the text by opening one segment at a time.

This is most annoying and keeps me from doing what I would need to do, namely searching for words in the original text. Besides, I would need to solve the problem within a few hours, but I have tried every trick I can think of and nothing seems to work. Could somebody help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Canada
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved though not sure what happened Nov 28, 2005

I don't know if I managed to describe the problem intelligibly, but at least the question helped me to find a solution. The solution seems to be as follows: go to Tools, Options, View and tick every box that you can see. At least one of them seems to do the trick. I don't know which one.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:10
English to German
+ ...
Hidden text Nov 28, 2005

Hi Jonathan,
When Trados segments Word files, the source segment is always formatted as 'hidden text'. It's advisable to keep this visible whenever you're working in the document, to avoid damaging tags.

If you search for "hidden text" in the forum search, you should find numerous related discussions on this issue.

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 2, 2005

I figured out that hidden texts was the issue, but I can't understand why you always have to start learning the niceties of your software when you have least time for it!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It's the "hidden text" somewhere in the middle of the window Dec 19, 2005

... I have the german version on my machine, so I do not know, what exactly is the English phrase. It's - grammatically incorrect - "ausgeblendeten Text" - in German.

And if Word gives you hard time, try Tag Editor for a change. You can always switch to Word when your TM fills up - provided you do not have some horrible doc file to work on. But then, you should not use Word to translate it anyhow.

Regards

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS Viewing problem with MS Office Word 2003

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search