Question about MS Outlook 2002
Thread poster: Jackie Bowman

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 16:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2006

Folks,

This might be a stupid question. If it is, let me apologize in advance. I’d still appreciate your thoughts.

I use MS Outlook 2002 for email. If I have the ‘Preview Pane’ permanently ‘on’, is that the same as actually opening an email message? In other words, am I making myself vulnerable to malicious script by using the Preview Pane, or do I have to actually ‘open’ a message to activate an infection.

Thanks. JB.

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
The preview pane generally involves the same risk level as an open message Jan 7, 2006

Here is a link to some relevant information :

http://www.syngress.com/book_catalog/225_CyberCrime/sample.pdf

Here is the relevant passage:

"How to Protect Your E-Mail
To avoid the problems associated with modern e-mail programs, you might want to configure your e-mail client not to display a “preview pane” (which displays messages, including HTML messages, without you having to click on them to
open them), . . . "

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 16:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jan 8, 2006

Thanks a lot for the advice and useful link ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about MS Outlook 2002

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search