Header with page numbers in a table? Not numbering!
Thread poster: Dina Abdo

Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 11:30
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Jan 21, 2006

Hi everybody

I'm using office 2003, and I need to translate a document of several pages(In Word). Now this is the problem:

The header of all the pages is a table. One row in the table includes the form (page 1 of 20). Now, in the original document, this row keeps on counting (2 of 20, 3 of 20 and so on)according to every page's number. In my translated version, the header remains the same! And; of course, it changes similarly in all pages when I change the page number in that row at any page!

Any idea how can I separate the headers of each page from each others within one document??

Thanks all for your help in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 10:30
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
easy Jan 21, 2006

If you are Page View, open the Header area by left-clicking twice on the header.
Once the header is active and the rest of the page is inactive (grey), you can open a context menu by right-clicking. A small menu bar appears, in which there is an icon (4th from the right) with a mouse-over explanation "Same as Previous".
You can use this icon to link headers in various sections or separate them.
Beware! The headers and footers in a single "section" will always be the same. If you want a separate header for a new page, you should insert a "Section break" (Insert - Break - Section Break).
Within a single section you can have different headers/footers for odd and even pages, as well as a separate one for the first page within each section (optional).

I hope you can use this explanation.

Csaba

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't get this menu! Jan 21, 2006

Csaba Ban wrote:

A small menu bar appears, in which there is an icon (4th from the right) with a mouse-over explanation "Same as Previous".
You can use this icon to link headers in various sections or separate them.

Csaba

All I get is the usual menu of (copy, paste, cut, font, paragraph ...etc.) options

Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
try this Jan 21, 2006

In the normal menu bar, open View, then open Headers and Footers. This context menu should appear as described above, with the relevant button being the 4th from the right.

cs.

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also not working :( Jan 21, 2006

Csaba Ban wrote:

In the normal menu bar, open View, then open Headers and Footers. This context menu should appear as described above, with the relevant button being the 4th from the right.

cs.

Hi again Csaba

It's still not working

I guess I'll try working on each page in a separate document and then merge them together and see how it will end up. I don't know why, but I'm still getting the same menu on both ways of viewing "headers and footers"

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you refering to screen viewing or printing the document? Jan 21, 2006

Sometimes Word does not actualise the fields, when working in page view. Use the "magnifying glas" to go to printlayout view and check there.

If the numbering is wrong, use the function described by Csaba.
You can use it in very various ways. The best way to get them to know is asking the Word help file for "page numbering".

Usually, after you open a header or footer Word automatically displays the proper tool bar. When it appears, place the cursor where you wish the page number to be inserted and clik on the symbol with "#" on it. This inserts the page number, which will be automatically updated.
If you don´t see it, then use the command Insert - Field. You will get a screen, when you can chose the field you want to insert. From the field categories chose Numbering. Then chose "Page" and click OK. This inserts a page number with arabic numbers (1,2,3...). If you need other numbering, chose it before clicking on OK.

To be sure, you have inserted a field, go to Tools, Options, View and in "Field shading" select "Always". This will cause all fields to appear grey (only on the screen, not when printed). This is very helpful, as the you can see where a field is - fields cannot be overwriten in the usual way, as either their content will be regenerated with any opening the document again or they are damaged.

Please also check, that the numbering in your customers document was not inserted manually by simply putting the page numbers by hand. If so, than simply replace such number with the automated page number. This will always be uptaded - even if all footers/headers are defined to be identical.

HTH
Jerzy

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well ... Jan 21, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Sometimes Word does not actualise the fields, when working in page view
is inserts a page number with arabic numbers (1,2,3...). If you need other numbering, chose it before clicking on OK.

To be sure, you have inserted a field, go to Tools, Options, View and in "Field shading" select "Always" [...] Please also check, that the numbering in your customers document was not inserted manually by simply putting the page numbers by hand. If so, than simply replace such number with the automated page number.
Jerzy[/quote]

I guess I wasn't clear enough. This isn't about usual numbering in my pages.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
This will always be uptaded - even if all footers/headers are defined to be identical.
Jerzy

And this is the problem I'm having: I have a document with a header in each page. The headers are tables, in which a row is listing pages number in the form of (page x of xx). This row in each table in each header should be changing according to actual page number. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't. It doesn't update pages numbers. And if I tried doing it manually but just typing the page number, it changes in all pages. I need to know how can I set a separate heading content for each page, even if it wasn't about page numbering.

Csaba's suggestion makes sense to me as it seems that it's offering an option to separate headings. Still, the meny he suggested where I may select that option from doesn't appear when I follow his steps.

I would have asked my client to fix it when they get the document, but the problem is that I'm translating into Arabic. We use Hindi numbers not English numbers. So I can't be sure if they'll be able to do that in the first place

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What do you mean with that? Jan 21, 2006

Dina Abdo wrote:
I guess I wasn't clear enough. This isn't about usual numbering in my pages.

Now I´m confused. What is "unusuall" numbering? Does Word not offer the proper number format? If so, you will need to create secition breaks between each page, not page breaks.
If there are no page breaks at all, create section breaks after each page. Then open the first header, adjust the numbering manually.
After you did so, press
This will bring you to the next header.
Make sure, that is UNCHECKED. It MUST look exactly as this one here.
Then edit the numberig for that page. Repeat this operation for each page.

HTH
Jerzy

Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
off topic Jan 21, 2006

It's interesting that you say you use "Hindi" numbers rather than "English" ones.
In Hungary, and I beleive in most other European countries as well, people say we use "Arabic" numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.), even though historically they originate from India, but were introduced to Europe via Arabic scholars. Before the end of the first millenium A.D., only Roman numerals were used (I, II, III, etc.), hence the distinctive name of the "Arabic" numbers.

I have heard of several people who went on their first ever trip to an Arabic country (typically Tunesia or Jordan) and they were surprised to see that Arabs themselves do not use "Arabic" numbers as we know them.

Meanwhile I wish you good luck "decyphering" your problem.

If you still cannot manage, send the file over and will try to have a look (probably only tomorrow morning).

Csaba

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Talking historically ... Jan 22, 2006

Tha numbers in the form (1,2,3 etc) ARE Arabic, but the common numbers used now are originally Hindi just as you mentioned but now called Arabic. You're right

But to be honest, I never met any westren calling (1,2,3 etc.) Arabic numbers until today

Csaba Ban wrote:

Meanwhile I wish you good luck "decyphering" your problem.

If you still cannot manage, send the file over and will try to have a look (probably only tomorrow morning).

Csaba

Thanks for your offer, but I did solve it I just entered page numbering in the form of (page X of Y) in the table row. But I'll keep trying to find a way of separating headings content on my computer anyway, as this isn't the first time I'm facing this trouble

Thanks again
Dina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Header with page numbers in a table? Not numbering!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search