Searching for multiple words in MS Word 2003
Thread poster: German Services
German Services
Local time: 12:59
English to German
+ ...
Feb 2, 2006

Is it possible to search for multiple words in Word 2003?

What I would like to achieve: Search and highlight about 15 words in a Word document. Simple enough, I thought, but so far I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Matej Hasko
Local time: 19:59
English to Slovak
+ ...
Replace Feb 2, 2006

The replace function (CTRL+H) enables to replace the word with the same word with different format. There is "More" button and then "Format" button on the bottom line.
(The button names might differ, I don't use the English version of the Word but the procedure is surely identical.)
In this way, you can highlight the required word in the whole text at once.
Did I understand your question correctly?
Matej Hasko

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Ctrl+F with the option Highlight all options found in Feb 2, 2006

Use Ctrl+F and select the option Highlight all options found in. All occurences of the search term will be selected. Click on the Highlight button.

Regards,
Gerard

Matej Hasko
English to Slovak
+ ...
that's better Feb 2, 2006

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Use Ctrl+F and select the option Highlight all options found in. All occurences of the search term will be selected. Click on the Highlight button.

Regards,
Gerard

this is much easier way

German Services
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple Feb 2, 2006

Maybe I wasn't clear enough (or I don't understand your answers): I need to search and highlight more than one word at the same time. When I use the find function (Ctrl-F), how do I seperate words in the search field?

Thanks!

Matej Hasko
English to Slovak
+ ...
I see Feb 2, 2006

Patrick Herbert wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear enough (or I don't understand your answers): I need to search and highlight more than one word at the same time. When I use the find function (Ctrl-F), how do I seperate words in the search field?

Thanks!

I was not sure about your question - that was the other meaning I was thinking about. However, I don't know if this is possible. Isn't it possible (or convenient) for you do it word by word?

German Services
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is not possible Feb 3, 2006

Just for the record: It is not possible. Thanks for everybody's help.

There might be third party solutions but MS Word itself is not set up to search for more than one term at a time...

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
VBA Feb 3, 2006

Your question is still not formulated so that I could understand what you really want to do. Say, you enter "she is" and want to have all "she" and "is" strings highlighted?

Actually, it would be quite easy to vrite a piece of VBA code for doing it in Word; I have no idea what it could be good for, though... (and the method of doing it should be consistent with the use of the outcome).

Antonin

German Services
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VB Feb 4, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Your question is still not formulated so that I could understand what you really want to do. Say, you enter "she is" and want to have all "she" and "is" strings highlighted?

Actually, it would be quite easy to vrite a piece of VBA code for doing it in Word; I have no idea what it could be good for, though... (and the method of doing it should be consistent with the use of the outcome).

Antonin

To give you an example, I highlighted words in your post. If I wanted to search for "still" and "quite", this would be the outcome.

The reason for this: I am working on projects for the same client in which I have to check the correct usage of specific terms or words. There are about 15 in total, highlighting them in a document would help. (Hope you understand now).

I am thinking of a custom-VB solution as well.

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for multiple words in MS Word 2003

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search