Problem with fonts in Power Point files (urgent)
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 9, 2006

I have translated 2 ppt-files. Everything seemed to be fine with fonts while I've been translating them. After I closed and reopened the files all the Russian text appeared as garbled.
The files are rather large, so can I do something to restore all the text without retranslating it?
Thanks,
Natalya

A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
I also had that problem Feb 9, 2006

a few months ago. While I was working, Bosnian letter were there and after closing and reopening, they were missing.
I reported that to the client and it turned out that the file they had sent and on which I was working on was corrupt.
So, maybe you should check with your client.
Amra

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replace fonts Feb 9, 2006

I was able to replace fonts (Format-Replace fonts) for one of the files, but for another one the required font is not available.
I have to choose only among double-byte fonts, since replacement with ordinary fonts is not possible.
It looks like I just don't have required fonts installed, but it would be nice to hear any advice.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
German to English
+ ...
Strange Feb 9, 2006

If you were using Microsoft PowerPoint (or even OpenOffice Impress) to translate the material I don't know how you would have the encoding set to anything other than Unicode.

If it is in Unicode I would have thought you could use any Unicode font to display it that contains the Cyrillic alphabet which, as far as I know, is most Microsoft fonts.

Unicode double-byte fonts are now surely the "norm".

Perhaps if you state how you created the document and which
... See more
If you were using Microsoft PowerPoint (or even OpenOffice Impress) to translate the material I don't know how you would have the encoding set to anything other than Unicode.

If it is in Unicode I would have thought you could use any Unicode font to display it that contains the Cyrillic alphabet which, as far as I know, is most Microsoft fonts.

Unicode double-byte fonts are now surely the "norm".

Perhaps if you state how you created the document and which fonts are involved it might be easier for someone to see where the problem lies.

[Edited at 2006-02-09 17:11]
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Japanese Feb 9, 2006

I was translating over the English text created by Japanese and the fonts involved are MS Mincho, MS PGothic, etc. Some of them simply do not display Russian text...
I have sent the file to the client, hoping that they will be able to see it on their computer, but I'm still looking for a solution.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
German to English
+ ...
Mincho Feb 9, 2006

As I understand, MS Mincho displays Cyrillic in a rather spread out fashion. Might you have switched to another font which was not Unicode when you were typing in Cyrillic for a more acceptable appearance? I don't think there is any problem changing from MS Mincho to another Unicode font – Arial, Times, whichever.

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 9, 2006

In fact, there is a problem of using Arial or Times. When I type everything's fine, but when I try to reopen closed file, it's already corrupted.
If I want to use "Replace fonts" option, it doesn't allow me to choose Arial or Times, since "you can only replace the font with double byte" font.

I am only hoping that the problem can be solved on the client side now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with fonts in Power Point files (urgent)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »