Martina Keskintepe  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:35
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 13, 2006

Hi everyone,

Today, after downloading and installing the trial version of Acrobat 7, I noticed that all my word documents were opening up in safe mode.
I immediately uninstalled the program but to no avail. I still get the "safe mode" sign.
Then I tried the Help feature in Word but that was no help either.
Now I see no other option then asking my colleagues here in this forum.
Can anyone help me out? There must be a simple solution!

Thanks in adv
... See more
Hi everyone,

Today, after downloading and installing the trial version of Acrobat 7, I noticed that all my word documents were opening up in safe mode.
I immediately uninstalled the program but to no avail. I still get the "safe mode" sign.
Then I tried the Help feature in Word but that was no help either.
Now I see no other option then asking my colleagues here in this forum.
Can anyone help me out? There must be a simple solution!

Thanks in advance,
Martina
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could you please explain what do you mean by "safe mode"? Feb 13, 2006

I know safe mode for Windows and even safe mode for Word itself, but have never encountered a safe mode for documents.

How do you open a document? By double clicking on it?

Regards
Jerzy

Martina Keskintepe
Türkiye
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation of "safe mode" Feb 13, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

thanks for trying to help.
As a matter of fact, yes, I open my documents from the desktop by double-clicking on it. Then I get the message that I have to open the document in safe mode. From what I understand of the help feature in word is that when the program operates in safe mode you cannot safe any changes to your document.

Even when I go through programs -> microsoft word -> double click I get the same message.

Any ideas?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You mean the "Open" command in Word? Feb 13, 2006

What happens, when you stat Word without opening any document?
Does it start without any problems?
When it starts and you use the command "Open" from Word (CTRL+O) and navigate to your file, does it open normally or still makes problems?

If Word starts normally without opening a document, so the problem might be the document. If Word starts but fails to open the document - start Word without opening any document. Check which templates are activated (menu Format and point
... See more
What happens, when you stat Word without opening any document?
Does it start without any problems?
When it starts and you use the command "Open" from Word (CTRL+O) and navigate to your file, does it open normally or still makes problems?

If Word starts normally without opening a document, so the problem might be the document. If Word starts but fails to open the document - start Word without opening any document. Check which templates are activated (menu Format and point to Templates and Add-Ins). Deselect every template you don't know. Restart Word. If the behaviour is Ok, you can select the templates you deselected one by one and so test, which one was causing trouble.

If all that does not help, then maybe your Normal.dot template got corrupted. Close Word, rename the Normal.dot to XNormal.dot, then restart Word. If everything works, so your Normal.dot was corrupted. To retrieve settings from it use the function "Organise" in Word (details see Word help).

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Monica Tuduce
Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Bad news Feb 13, 2006

Hello Martina

Last year I had exactly the same problem. I even posted a question on Proz, but no answer.
I tried everything. I had to re-install my system, Windows XP. That was the only thing that helped.

If you find another solution, please let us know, I would be happy to find out that there is a better way.
Good luck.

Martina Keskintepe
Türkiye
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
starting word without opening any documents Feb 13, 2006

This is what happens when I open Word without opening any documents. I get the followin message:

Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Then I get asked if I want to send an error message. If I click on the box not to send the error message, I get another message:
"Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode will help you correct or isoltate a startup problem in order to successful
... See more
This is what happens when I open Word without opening any documents. I get the followin message:

Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Then I get asked if I want to send an error message. If I click on the box not to send the error message, I get another message:
"Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode will help you correct or isoltate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program.
Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Word in safe mode?
Yes No"

If I then click on yes, I can finally open my document but, as I said, in safe mode.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look please at the templates in your start up folder Feb 13, 2006

to be found in c:\document and settings\current user\application data\microsoft\word\start up

Move all templates from there to another folder.
Then go to c:\document and settings\current user\application data\microsoft\templates and do the same here.

Maybe some of your templates are really corrupt.

If this does not help, try to repair your installation of Office, using the setup CD. When you insert the CD into your PC the setup shall start automatica
... See more
to be found in c:\document and settings\current user\application data\microsoft\word\start up

Move all templates from there to another folder.
Then go to c:\document and settings\current user\application data\microsoft\templates and do the same here.

Maybe some of your templates are really corrupt.

If this does not help, try to repair your installation of Office, using the setup CD. When you insert the CD into your PC the setup shall start automatically. Select "Repair the current installation".
Maybe this helps.

Do you have Office SP3 installed? If no - this is highly recommendable.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Martina Keskintepe
Türkiye
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not have Office SP3 installed Feb 13, 2006

Thanks Jerzy,

I will go through your suggestions tomorrow morning and let you know how they work out.

Thank you very much for your patience!
Martina

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Office Online Feb 13, 2006

Try looking here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030823931033.aspx

Maybe this will solve your problem.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
System Restore Feb 14, 2006

I'd perform a System Restore in such cases. Look for System Restore in Start/Windows Help and Support.

Regards,
Gerard

Martina Keskintepe
Türkiye
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalling Microsoft Word Feb 14, 2006

I tried everything now, I suppose. Including the Office Help, moving templates, etc. but nothing seems to do the trick. Everything else is working fine, including PowerPoint and Excel, very strange...
Now the only thing left is to install Word again.

Thanks for all your help Jerzy!

Martina Keskintepe
Türkiye
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Feb 14, 2006

I finally solved the problem and the solution was extremely easy.
I only needed to download and install a few Office updates. My 2002 Office version was no longer supported it seems. So my word program is working fine again and I am sorry I caused all of you so much trouble for nothing really.

Thanks again Jerzy, Pawel and Gerard!!!
And have a great day everyone - or what's left of it,
Martina

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Service packs Feb 14, 2006

Against the widespreaded meaning about Microsoft Service Packs I would always recommend to install them, as they contain a lot of corrections.
Your Office 2002 might not have been outdated, but some functions may have not been as stable as they are when SP3 is installed.

Regards
Jerzy

PowerUserJ
PowerUserJ
English
One Cure for WORD Safe Mode Apr 17, 2008

What a disaster the previous time that this happened (WORD only opened in safe mode, nothing worked) MS support could not help me with any answer or suggestions, but offered to try with no guaranteed results if I would send them an expensive "consulting fee" since my version of WORD was not supported (apparently only Vista and latest generation Office products can get free support.)...HOW NICE TO BE BIG AND MAKE THE RULES...I THOUGHT. I was forced to inconveniently use my cloned back-up hard dr... See more
What a disaster the previous time that this happened (WORD only opened in safe mode, nothing worked) MS support could not help me with any answer or suggestions, but offered to try with no guaranteed results if I would send them an expensive "consulting fee" since my version of WORD was not supported (apparently only Vista and latest generation Office products can get free support.)...HOW NICE TO BE BIG AND MAKE THE RULES...I THOUGHT. I was forced to inconveniently use my cloned back-up hard drive that I keep for potential virus or system crash problems, and it took several hours to then update the back-up hard drive with my latest files. What a pain, but this was one solution to avoid total disaster.

This time, when it happened, I wanted to avoid the time loss involving my use of a back up cloned hard drive...and none of the forum posts were of any help. So, I tried something very simple (I am not sure why I tried this either quite by accident or by intuition) and it worked, quickly and perfectly to solve my problem. Below is what I did, and you might try it if you are having a similar problem.

1 Open WORD in safe mode when prompted.

2. Go to pull-down menu "Tools", submenu under it "Macros", sub-sub-menu "Visual Basic"

3. Load and save normal.dot that it shows.

Exit WORD and it opens normally.

Apparently, Visual Basic will automatically correct the corruption that someties occurs in Normal.dot due to incomplete installs or incompatible 'Add-in" (some Adobe products are notorious for this), accidentall deletions or machine shut-offs when the normal.dot is open, and corruptions caused by some Microsoft OS update service packs.

Just try the above steps...and hopefully problems are easily solved without huge time drains needed to install or uninstall products.

This is one cure...that may solve your problem...otherwise you may want to temporarily disable add-in software from on your help menu to see if they are causing the problems, tnen un-install the add-ins and reinstall them on your system.

If this works for you, please post your success to let me and others know.

Jay
Collapse

solitudev
solitudev
English
One cure for WORD 2003 Safe Mode Feb 9, 2009

Yep after spending time repairing and restore.. nothing worked...

I tried your method and guess what... in under one minute i was back...
Thanks for saving me from having to do a full system re-installation

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word documents are starting up in "safe mode"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »