Annoying problem with headers in Word 2000
Thread poster: Jackie Bowman

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 19:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2006

Folks,

I should be able to fix this, but at the moment I can’t think how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

I am editing a lengthy document in Word 2000. Occasionally, a page is blank simply because the header is taking up almost all of the space (the rest of the space is taken by the normal-sized footer). This is happening within a single section, and all the other headers in the section are normal.

I have eliminated the header and footer styles from the style list, and I have tried to change the header size in Page Setup, but nothing happens. It’s annoying because some of the text is being hidden (the cursor disappears when it encounters a very large header) when I edit in the Print View.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

JB

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try converting Feb 26, 2006

Have you tried to save the file in other formats (Word 95 or rtf) or open it in OpenOffice?.
First I would select All and copy to a new document. At least when saving to .txt all the real text should be visible.
Regards
Heinrich

Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:09
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some other possible causes Feb 26, 2006

Maybe a picture or text box is placed in the header (those may be invisible) and it occupies lots of vertical space. If you could send me the document or a copy of it in which you delete everything but the header, I'd check it for you.

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 19:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved ... Feb 27, 2006

Heinrich, I really appreciated your suggestions and the time you took to make them. I tried them but unfortunately I had no luck.

Several million thanks to e-Musty, who did me an enormous favour by taking the problem file, looking for the bug, fixing it, and sending me a superb explanation of what the problem had been. Absolutely fantastic help and an outstanding example of this kind of online community at its very best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying problem with headers in Word 2000

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search