Problems publishing my site using Front Page
Thread poster: William Pairman

William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:39
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Feb 27, 2006

Trying to update my website using Front Page for the 1st time (the first time I did it I used some freeware - Namu6), no problems tillit came to publishing

First i was surprised you have to type in a httm://my website url as opposed to a ftp:// one. Still. Then it tells me there s a problem as I dont have an extension. Over to ProZ's my hosting page, find I need to download an extension, do so. Now when I try to publish, all the right windows pop up, ending up with "Your website has been successfully published"

There's a link - "Click here to se you site on the web" or somesuch, so I click on it, expecting to see the fruits of my labour but instead its the dull old Namu6 page

Tried restarting, no good, repeated the publishing steps, no good. Cleared catches on both IE and Firefox, still nothing.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? Dreamweaver looks far too complex for me(

Direct link Reply with quote

Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Need more info Feb 27, 2006

What version of FrontPage do you use?

Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Office XP Feb 28, 2006

Office XP Home

Don't know if this is relevant or not but we recently changed our ISP and have had some problems with a few pages (not ProZ or my webpage tho)

Thanks

[Edited at 2006-02-28 08:39]

Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
What version of FrontPage do you use? Feb 28, 2006

Office XP Home

Don't know if this is relevant or not but we recently changed our ISP and have had some problems with a few pages (not ProZ or my webpage tho)

Thanks

Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tutorials Feb 28, 2006

The version of FP was necessary to know since the relevant dialog and the publishing mechanism has been changed a bit in FP 2003.

For FP XP, you may want to check out these two Flash tutorials:
* Publishing via FTP: http://www.frontpages-web-hosting.net/support/flash/frontp_publish_ftp.htm
* Publishing via HTTP: http://www.frontpages-web-hosting.net/support/flash/frontp_publish_http.htm

The heart of the difference between the two kinds of publishing is that when you have FrontPage Extensions enabled on your server and website, you should publish your site via HTTP. To do so, you'll need to provide your credentials that you use to log on to the admin interface of your domain as this has the rights to write the files via the HTTP protocol. This account is different from your FTP account.

As one of the first slides in the first tutorial says, if you have FP Extensions enabled on the server, you may corrup it by publishing your site via FTP.

HTH & keep me informed
kr/nk

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 21:39
English
I'd start moving away from FrontPage Mar 12, 2006

William Pairman wrote:
Is there something obvious I'm missing? Dreamweaver looks far too complex for me(

While Dreamweaver and Adobe GoLive are both more high-end tools, it would be worth your trouble, and these programs don't force you in to fancy stuff you don't want to use.

The problem with FrontPage is that it has a tendency to write code that doesn't work very well in browsers other than Microsoft Internet Explorer. Further, it will create unnecessarily complex code, toss SPANs and DIV where they're not needed, and nest blocks many levels deep.

In fact, there are specific tools out there to de-FrontPage HTML code.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems publishing my site using Front Page

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search