Is it possible to extract only coloured text in a Word doc?
Thread poster: NancyLynn
NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:13
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Mar 30, 2006

Hello all,
I have Office XP and windows XP.

I am almost certain this has come up before, but I can't find it in the fora.

I have a long Word document and need to translate only the coloured text. There is a lot of black text in and around the word to be translated. How do I extract the coloured text and leave behind the other stuff?

Please note, I have already translated the red text (a job I did last week). Now I would like to do a word count for the
... See more
Hello all,
I have Office XP and windows XP.

I am almost certain this has come up before, but I can't find it in the fora.

I have a long Word document and need to translate only the coloured text. There is a lot of black text in and around the word to be translated. How do I extract the coloured text and leave behind the other stuff?

Please note, I have already translated the red text (a job I did last week). Now I would like to do a word count for the invoice. So is it possible to have Word count only the red text, or must I first extract the red text from the black, and if so, please see question above

Thanks for your help!

Nancy
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:13
English to German
Count, delete red text, then count again Mar 30, 2006

Hi Nancy,

Word cannot count parts of a text based on any criteria.

What you can do is:
a) do a word count of the total (red + black)
b) save a copy of the file and then delete all red text
c) do a new count
d) the difference between a) and c) is your actual count

Regarding b):
You need to switch wildcard search on, put "*" (without the quotes) into the search field, put nothing into the replace field, and while the cursor is in
... See more
Hi Nancy,

Word cannot count parts of a text based on any criteria.

What you can do is:
a) do a word count of the total (red + black)
b) save a copy of the file and then delete all red text
c) do a new count
d) the difference between a) and c) is your actual count

Regarding b):
You need to switch wildcard search on, put "*" (without the quotes) into the search field, put nothing into the replace field, and while the cursor is in the find field, click on "Format" at the bottom left, select "Character" and specify the colour of text you need.

You could also delete the black text instead of the red text to avoid the subtraction in d), but then you might have to differentiate between "automatic" and "black", which complicates things.

I hope it will work for you

Endre
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Selecting red text Mar 30, 2006

In Word select a piece of the red text and select Format/Styles and Formatting in the menu. The Styles and Formatting pane will appear next to the text. Click on Select All to select all occurrences of the style. Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V in a new blanc page.

Regards,
Gerard

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Endre! Mar 30, 2006

That worked perfectly.

Nancy

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Gerard Mar 30, 2006

I hadn't seen your post in time to try it, but it seems another easy workaround.

Nancy

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Formatting as hidden Mar 31, 2006

NancyLynn wrote:
Please note, I have already translated the red text (a job I did last week). Now I would like to do a word count for the invoice. So is it possible to have Word count only the red text, or must I first extract the red text from the black, and if so, please see question above
Nancy

You can use Word's search/replace to format the text in a specific colour as "hidden". This opens up a couple of other possibilities:

In PractiCount (and probably other counting programs) you can do a word/character count with or without hidden text.

In DejaVuX (and probably other CAT programs) you can exclude hidden text from the import process, so DVX then only shows you the text you actually need to translate.

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:43
English to Hindi
+ ...
No need to select "Character" Mar 31, 2006

Endre Both wrote:

You need to switch wildcard search on, put "*" (without the quotes) into the search field, put nothing into the replace field, and while the cursor is in the find field, click on "Format" at the bottom left, select "Character" and specify the colour of text you need.

Endre

You don't need to select "Character" for the Find field. Just keep it blank and select only the color by clicking the Format at the bottom.

Anil Goyal

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 11:13
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
highlight, select and copy Apr 1, 2006

Point to any word of your coloured text, select "find text with similar formatting", use ctrl+c, then open a new document and press ctrl+v

You'll end up with a document holding your text in red only

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to extract only coloured text in a Word doc?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »