Is there a way to remove all manual line breaks in an Excel file?
Thread poster: Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 14:29
English to German
Apr 18, 2006

Hi all,

I've been given an Excel file to translate, and would like to translate it using Trados. However, because the author of the Excel file for some reason put several manual line breaks (Alt+Return) into every single cell, often in the middle of a sentence, TagEditor has trouble segmenting the file in a sensible way.

I am therefore trying to remove *all* manual line breaks in the Excel file, but I can't seem to think of an easy way to do this.

Any ide
... See more
Hi all,

I've been given an Excel file to translate, and would like to translate it using Trados. However, because the author of the Excel file for some reason put several manual line breaks (Alt+Return) into every single cell, often in the middle of a sentence, TagEditor has trouble segmenting the file in a sensible way.

I am therefore trying to remove *all* manual line breaks in the Excel file, but I can't seem to think of an easy way to do this.

Any ideas?
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Segmentation rules Apr 18, 2006

Hi J,
You could try File/Setup/Segmentation rules and remove the End of Paragraph, leaving Full Stop, or set them in some way to suit the segmentation of your doc.
I haven’t tried it btw; let us know if it works.

Mac

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
a possible workaround solution Apr 18, 2006

1. Select the entire area in Excel that includes translatable cells, then Copy (ctrl C)
2. Paste into an empty doc in Word (ctrl V)
3. Use the Find and Replace (ctrl H) function, press "Special" and select "Manual line break". There should be a "^l" appearing in the upper part of the Find and Replace dialogue (Replace:).
4. In the lower part (With:), enter a single space.
5. Press "Replace All".
6. Now all manual line breaks should be deleted in your text.
... See more
1. Select the entire area in Excel that includes translatable cells, then Copy (ctrl C)
3. Use the Find and Replace (ctrl H) function, press "Special" and select "Manual line break". There should be a "^l" appearing in the upper part of the Find and Replace dialogue (Replace:).
5. Press "Replace All".
7. Select the entire cell area and paste it back into Excel.
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Apr 18, 2006

Csaba Ban wrote:

press "Special" and select "Manual line break". There should be a "^l" appearing in the upper part of the Find and Replace dialogue (Replace:).

Thanks, Csaba, that was exactly the part I was missing.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Segmentation rules Apr 18, 2006

If you are using Trados 7, go to Start - Programs - Trados Freelance 7 - Filters - Filter Settings. Select "Excel filter settings" - "Segmentation" and uncheck "Segment after break tags".

lellylel
lellylel
English
press "Special" Apr 25, 2006

[quote]Csaba Ban wrote:

5. Press "Replace All".

Please can you tell me where you find "special" in word after using Ctrl H

herjai
herjai
English
additional question Jan 16, 2007

is there a way to take off the line break, then put everything after the break to another cell?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-16 11:08]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 3 days
Iván Madrigal (X)
Iván Madrigal (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Thanks Csaba Ban, this is a very useful trick. Feb 14, 2011

Csaba Ban wrote:

5. Press "Replace All".

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
In Excel Feb 14, 2011

You could avoid this tedious Excel-Word-Excel roundtrip and just do it (TM) in Excel.
Press Ctrl-H and type [Alt]-0010 into the search box. Not much will show up in the box, but it will work. Replacing with a space is probably best.
Note that you have to use the numpad, not the row of number keys at the top. Those won't work. If you're typing on a laptop, switch on the numpad overlay and use that.

To put everything following the line break in a new cell, follow Cs
... See more
You could avoid this tedious Excel-Word-Excel roundtrip and just do it (TM) in Excel.
Press Ctrl-H and type [Alt]-0010 into the search box. Not much will show up in the box, but it will work. Replacing with a space is probably best.
Note that you have to use the numpad, not the row of number keys at the top. Those won't work. If you're typing on a laptop, switch on the numpad overlay and use that.

To put everything following the line break in a new cell, follow Csaba's instructions, except replace the ^l with a ^p. Obviously, only do this with a single column, not a multi-column table.
Collapse

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Excel solution Feb 15, 2011

If you wish to cut the text in each cell into parts at the line breaks and put these parts into columns right from the original cell:

Select the column to be cut into parts at the line breaks.
Go to Data/Text to Column and enter Alt+010 (from numpad) into the box „Other” (separator).

If you want to insert a space between the parts (for example because they are parts of a sentence), first replace Alt+010 with #_ (if # is not in the original text) then choose #
... See more
If you wish to cut the text in each cell into parts at the line breaks and put these parts into columns right from the original cell:

Select the column to be cut into parts at the line breaks.
Go to Data/Text to Column and enter Alt+010 (from numpad) into the box „Other” (separator).

If you want to insert a space between the parts (for example because they are parts of a sentence), first replace Alt+010 with #_ (if # is not in the original text) then choose # as the separator.
Collapse

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
About pasting back into Excel Feb 15, 2011

Hello,

I believe that it is dangerous to paste back cells into Excel once used into Word because of special formatting. I would advise extreme caution when copying/pasting cells from Excel into Word, and then back into Excel.

Good day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to remove all manual line breaks in an Excel file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »