Thread poster: Carmen Cuervo-Arango

Carmen Cuervo-Arango  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 22, 2006

I cannot save word 2003 documents anymore

In order to pay my first term taxes to our Hacienda (Spain) through the Internet, I had to accept Control ActiveX. After the whole operation had been settled, I went back to work and I realized I could not save any Word 2003 document anymore. Moreover, I can only open files from their folders, but not once I have opened Word, for the programme gets blocked.
At the same time, I used Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and, though I could write and save my messages, I had no possibility to attach any document (no matter the format). The program gets blocked, the same way as when I try to save my Word documents.

* I updated Office 2003 through the Internet... nothing changed.
* I tried to repair it with the original programme... nothing changed.
* I uninstalled the whole Microsoft Office package and reinstalled it, but nothing changed either.

Does anybody know if this Control ActiveX could have blocked somehow Office 2003 and how to solve the problem?

Does anybody know where I can look for the right technical support (any specialized forum ... though this forum might also be the perfect place )

Thanks for your help!

[Edited at 2006-04-22 10:39]

[Edited at 2006-04-23 08:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
try repairing normal.dot Apr 22, 2006

I am not sure now but I think that reinstallation of the Office will not actually replace the normal.dot. You can give it a try:

Close Word. Go to the folder

[C]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

(change the disk and the user according to your settings)

delete the file named Normal.dot there.

Open Word. It may be OK.

HTH

Antonin

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Antonín Apr 22, 2006

Dear Antonín, thank you for your quick answer.

I have followed the steps you suggests, but unfortunately the problem hasn't been solved.

I wish you a lovely weekend,

Carmen

Ahmed Dahman  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
Don't think so... Apr 22, 2006

Is there any message?

I don't know what's the relation between the ActiveX and you office.
- I think you have to try wordpad or any other program and try to save and if you are unable to save, then it's your operating system.

- Do you have antivirus protection? You should try to scan your system.

- Check your add/remove program list, you may find a strange program that you didn't install or downloaded and installed by someone else.

I think I will re-install indows not office if I were you.

HTH
Warm regard
A.H.Dahman
http://www.proz.com/pro/129263

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Apr 22, 2006

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Ahmed!

I forgot saying that the first thing I did was a virus checkup (my anti-virus programme gets updated everyday). I found no virus.

I have tried now with Notepad and I can open, change, create and save documents.

Moreover, I can also work my my old Office 97, which fortunately I didn't delete.

I will try to reinstall the operating system (Windows XP) as you suggest.

I really appreciate your help!

Have a great day!

Carmen

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 05:41
English
Could be a Microsoft update Apr 22, 2006

One of Microsoft's updates from last week can stop Outlook from taking attachments. Did you install any updates?

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I might have updated the system Apr 22, 2006

tlmurray wrote:

One of Microsoft's updates from last week can stop Outlook from taking attachments. Did you install any updates?

My PC is programmed to receive updates and when they are ready they get installed when I turn the PC down. That could be an explanation. Let's see what I do now, for I tried to reinstall Windows but XP didn't allow me because the version I have now is newer than the one in the CD!

Thank your very much for your explanation!!!

Best regards,

Carmen

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Access to the drives and folders Apr 23, 2006

I have realized that the real problem is that I cannot have access to the files, folders and drives stored in the system, that's why I cannot save the files using the save or save as function, I cannot open them from the programmes (the same happens with all office 2003 programmes, also Excel and PowerPoint) attach them, etc.

* I have found a way to open them: through My PC and opening the files directly from the relative drive and folder.

* And I have found a way to save them: by exiting and waiting for the message "Do you want to save changes" and saying "yes". In that case, there is no problem because I musn't see the folders names.

* The main problem remains attaching files in Outlook, which I do everyday and changing format in the files I use, which I also do for processing Trados files in DejaVu.

I still think there has been some addition to one of those "mysterious" files that tell the computer what to do and what not to do. But where can it be?

Moreover, the Search option included in the operating system allows me to search in the drives suggested, but doesn't allow me anymore to specify a concrete folder through "examine" and trying to go from My PC to the relative folder. It also gets blocked.

[Edited at 2006-04-23 08:17]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Check running services Apr 23, 2006

Go Start-Run, type services.msc and view the services running on your machine. You can try to stop the suspiciously looking ones and see what happens.

But if I were you, I would simply backup the data, format the hard drive and install the system afresh.

Antonin

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalling Windows Apr 24, 2006

Thank you for all your help. I will just get a newer version of Windows and reinstall it. I'll tell you if it works, otherwise... the feared PC formatting!

Have a nice week!

Carmen

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
There is reinstall and reinstall Apr 24, 2006

Actually, formatting a hard drive is no tragedy and nowadays, with so much spyware etc. around, it is a good thing to apply from time to time anyway. It is much better than "corrective install of the system" which leaves the original trash on the disk – I only use this if I am under a time pressure and as a temporary measure only.

Of course, you have to reinstall the applications after that, but you will not include those you did not use so much, so it is a kind of cleaning the garbage too.

You have to back up your data and settings to the maximum possible extent before the system reinstall. An additional (or external) hard drive is a good thing to have for such purposes; and good backup software. But you need something like that for standard-operation backup anyway, don't you?.

If you decide to take this step, you can definitely use the original CD for Win XP installation, but you will have to take a longer "updating" step after the system is actually installed. If SP2 is not included in your CD, download it and have it ready (in the language variant of your system) before the installation.

Antonin

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are so right, Antonín! Apr 24, 2006

Every now and then, we should format our PCs and install all our programmes again. In the past, this was a frequent need, for the operative systems were not so stable as now.

Of course, it requires a lot of back up and work... and that's not what I am afraid of, but of my router! I don't know why the router I have is extremely complicated to configurate. Most of the times, I have to give up and when Telefónica people come to fix it, they also go mad (even if it is their router). And of course they do not come within 24 hours: it can take even a week!

Anyway, it's no use complaining or being afraid: it will have to be done. But most probably I will wait for the weekend, when no client usually contacts me.

Another translator, Dang Anh Dzung, told me also had the same problem, but I still wonder how it happened!

Have a nice last april week!

Carmen

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a marginal remark Apr 24, 2006

I cannot see how the settings of your computer would affect your router? If it is like mine, it is a piece of hardware comepletely detached from the computer, with settings and "virtual life" of its own.

Of course, the network adapter settings should be compliant with that of the router, but you can simply write down the current ones from your PC and that is it.

Have a nice time and I wish you good luck with resolving your problem.

Have you tried to check what services are running on your machine, by the way?

Antonin

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalling Office XP Apr 28, 2006

Reinstalling a newer version of Office XP has been the solution. Office 2003 is back to normal now and I haven't lost any files, thank goodness (though I backed up every importante file before).

Thank you everybody for all your help!

Carmen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No access to drives and folders with Office 2003

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search