Index update problems (Microsoft word 2002)
Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:26
Member (2004)
English to French
May 7, 2006

Hi,
I have a document that contains a table of contents at the beginning and an index at the end. For some reason, when I right click on the index to update it, it reverts to English (my translation is in French). Also, when I ask to print it, it asks me first if I want to update the page numbers or the whole index, either option puts back the text in English and prints it in that language.
I'm clueless (or like I like to sayL I am without clue) about what to do.

Nina

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:26
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Automation... May 7, 2006

It may be that the index entries are created based on special fields within the text. If that is the case, maybe they were not translated at all. You just overwrote the result of the automatic indexing, but when you update the index the text from the fields is input again in place of your translation.

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Looking at fields May 7, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:

It may be that the index entries are created based on special fields within the text. If that is the case, maybe they were not translated at all. You just overwrote the result of the automatic indexing, but when you update the index the text from the fields is input again in place of your translation.

You can test this by clicking Options from the Tools menu and selecting Field codes under Show (topmost group).

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
you have to translate the marked index entries separately May 7, 2006

Index entries in Word documents are marked individually and inserted inline in the text as invisible text. They have to be translated separately. To view index entries, enable display of invisible text (Tools/Options/View/Formatting Marks -> enable 'Invisible Text'). Each marked index entry is enclosed in curly brackets ( {} )and starts with 'XE', so you can search for them using Find with XE in the the Find field (with invisible text visible).

Consult Word Help to learn more.
<
... See more
Index entries in Word documents are marked individually and inserted inline in the text as invisible text. They have to be translated separately. To view index entries, enable display of invisible text (Tools/Options/View/Formatting Marks -> enable 'Invisible Text'). Each marked index entry is enclosed in curly brackets ( {} )and starts with 'XE', so you can search for them using Find with XE in the the Find field (with invisible text visible).

Consult Word Help to learn more.

[Edited at 2006-05-07 15:11]
Collapse

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:26
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Common problem with MS Word May 7, 2006

Don't try to refresh your index. Just delete it. And then insert/create new one.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not that common May 7, 2006

I do not know such problem to be very common - refreshing index works usually very well.
If there are errors in the index definitions (because one has not worked carefully on them), than you may get problems - but to speak about a common Word problem is an exaggeration.

In general it is very usefull to consult Word help file, as suggested above.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Index update problems (Microsoft word 2002)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »