https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/47481-word_2003_toc_only_updates_first_two_levels.html

Word 2003: TOC only updates first two levels
Thread poster: Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:59
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
May 16, 2006

When I update my TOC using F9, only the first two levels are updated and I lose the third level, i.e. 1 and 1.1 are updated but I lose 1.1.1. This happens whether I select the "Update page numbers only", or "Update entire table" radio buttons in the dialogue box. It also happens with an untranslated, unchanged source language file - I know, an unchanged file doesn't need updating, but I tried this to confirm a suspicion that the problem had something to do with a default setting which I have no... See more
When I update my TOC using F9, only the first two levels are updated and I lose the third level, i.e. 1 and 1.1 are updated but I lose 1.1.1. This happens whether I select the "Update page numbers only", or "Update entire table" radio buttons in the dialogue box. It also happens with an untranslated, unchanged source language file - I know, an unchanged file doesn't need updating, but I tried this to confirm a suspicion that the problem had something to do with a default setting which I have not been able to find.Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:59
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
you need to specify, how TOC gets built... May 16, 2006

go into "insert/reference/indices and TOCs" (I translate from my German word 2003, that has it in Einfügen/Referenzen/Indexe und Verzeichnisse) . Select TOC tab and adjust levels to suit your case.

smo

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:59
Polish to English
+ ...
Number of levels in ToC May 16, 2006

In the Insert Table of Contents tab, above and slightly left of the options tab, there is a "show levels" option, in which you can choose to show as many levels of table of contents as you wish.
For 1.1.1. you wopuld need to select "show 3 levels".

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:59
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
can't find it May 17, 2006

Thanks for your reply, but I couldn't find a "show levels" option. In the main menu I clicked on Insert, Reference, Index and Tables, but there wasn't a "show levels" option.

PAS wrote:

In the Insert Table of Contents tab, above and slightly left of the options tab, there is a "show levels" option, in which you can choose to show as many levels of table of contents as you wish.
For 1.1.1. you wopuld need to select "show 3 levels".

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 05:59
English
One more step May 18, 2006

Carlos Alvarez wrote:
In the main menu I clicked on Insert, Reference, Index and Tables, but there wasn't a "show levels" option.

One more step: Click the Table of Contents tab.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003: TOC only updates first two levels

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »