Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:58
Dutch to French
+ ...
May 18, 2006

Hi all,

I am working on several documents at the same time, on the same subject (in order to easily change words for which I find a better translation later on in the documents).

The problem is that I did a Find/replace on all documents one by one but somehow the dialogue box won't display anymore... Ofcourse I can't go on working becs there is a dialogue open somewhere ... and I can't close it becs I can't see it any more.

Is there someone out there who ca
... See more
Hi all,

I am working on several documents at the same time, on the same subject (in order to easily change words for which I find a better translation later on in the documents).

The problem is that I did a Find/replace on all documents one by one but somehow the dialogue box won't display anymore... Ofcourse I can't go on working becs there is a dialogue open somewhere ... and I can't close it becs I can't see it any more.

Is there someone out there who can tell me how to display the dialogue box again so I can get on with my work ?

Tks a lot in advance
Elisabeth
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 01:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Alt - Tab might work May 18, 2006

I'm not sure if this will work in your situation, but assuming you're in some version of Windows, you could use ALT-TAB to step through all the currently-open windows, until you find the 'hidden' one.

HTH
MediaMatrix

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
select again May 18, 2006

Hi Elisabeth,

Are you actually working with MS Word or another application?
I'm not sure if I understand correctly, so I'll just try to give some suggestions.

Sometimes this happens to me when applying the same change to different files in a row.

If I cannot see the dialogue box anymore, then I just open it again in the menu - and it pops up again from wherever it was.

You could also save the files and then close them - if the dialogue b
... See more
Hi Elisabeth,

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, so I'll just try to give some suggestions.

Sometimes this happens to me when applying the same change to different files in a row.

If I cannot see the dialogue box anymore, then I just open it again in the menu - and it pops up again from wherever it was.

You could also save the files and then close them - if the dialogue box was hidden somewhere, it will be closed, too.
Then re-open the files and use the Find/Replace function again.

Best regards,

Michaela
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Hitting Ctrl + H again ? May 18, 2006

Salut Elisabeth,

Doesn't the box appear again if you hit Ctrl + H again ?

Sylvain

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unfortunately, not one of these suggestions work ... May 18, 2006

Michaela Müller wrote:

Hi Elisabeth,

Yes I'm working with MS Word

No menu is accessible. As there is a dialogue box open somewhere, all windows are frozen ...

You could also save the files and then close them - if the dialogue box was hidden somewhere, it will be closed, too.
Then re-open the files and use the Find/Replace function again.

Impossible to close anything, even with a right click on the toolbar ... all functions are suspended becs of this box.

I have tried almost everything ... am just hoping that it will pop up one way or the other.

Thanks Michaela

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a sound .. May 18, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Salut Elisabeth,

Doesn't the box appear again if you hit Ctrl + H again ?

Sylvain

Salut Sylvain !

When doing so, I just get a sound from the application that it doesn't like what I'm doing ...

Tks Sylvain

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Task manager May 18, 2006

Did you check if you find it when using the Task Manager (Ctrl+alt+remove)? If nothing else is possible, I always use the task manager to move from one task/application to another, or to delete a process that caused a freeze.

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ofcourse I can close all Word instances May 18, 2006

Michaela Müller wrote:

Did you check if you find it when using the Task Manager (Ctrl+alt+remove)? If nothing else is possible, I always use the task manager to move from one task/application to another, or to delete a process that caused a freeze.

Unfortunately, if I do this, all changes I have made today in all the documents will be lost... and I'm not sure I remember all of them. I'm keeping this possibility for the very very end...

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well ... I had to close all Word instances May 18, 2006

because I travelled so much between pages that I succeeded in freezing Word completely ...

Now all I have to do is read all the pages and change all I remember

Tks to both of you for yr suggestions

Elisabeth

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Save!!! May 18, 2006

And not only remember all changes and insert them again - don't forget: Save the files after at least each page or a certain time (I could have said "Why didn't you do this before, so not all of today's work would be gone?" but I don't)

Good luck with the rest of the job!

Michaela

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
MS Word does have AutoSave May 18, 2006

If you go Tools-Options, the "Save" tab, you can check "Save AutoRecover info every:" and enter the frequency of atuosave. Mine is set to 2 minutes.

However, in certain instances this autosaving process has to be "initiated" by saving the file manually at least once.

Antonin

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeh.... I know May 18, 2006

Michaela Müller wrote:

And not only remember all changes and insert them again - don't forget: Save the files after at least each page or a certain time (I could have said "Why didn't you do this before, so not all of today's work would be gone?" but I don't)

Good luck with the rest of the job!

Michaela

I usually save after every series of changes but I hadn't finished all the pages before the dialogue box disappeared...

Anyway, I made the changes I remembered. Will have a look again once the whole job finished.

Today just wasn't my day ;-(

Thanks again Michaela

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It just keeps hidden ... ;-) May 18, 2006

mediamatrix wrote:

I'm not sure if this will work in your situation, but assuming you're in some version of Windows, you could use ALT-TAB to step through all the currently-open windows, until you find the 'hidden' one.

HTH
MediaMatrix

I was able to open each window, cleaning the screen with Wdws+M then opening each document in the task bar, but the box just wouldn't show, even in the window where it was supposed to be ...

Anyway, the problem is solved for the moment, as I had to close with Ctrl+Alt+Del

Tks
Elisabeth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT - How to display a "hidden" dialogue box

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »