Installing fonts
Thread poster: Caitriona O'Callanain
Caitriona O'Callanain
Local time: 08:50
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
May 25, 2006

My (German) customer uses the font Frutiger 47LightCn. Since this is not installed on my computer nor in the list of fonts provided by Microsoft Office, the target text automatically changes to the closest available font,which in this instance is Times New Roman.
I obviously need to install this font - is it easily obtainable or might it be specific to one customer? I would be grateful for any advice, Caitriona

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:50
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... May 25, 2006

...to Office applications.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have either to buy this font or get a license with the font from your customer May 25, 2006

Fonts are software and as such copyrighted, so you cannot simply copy it somwhere and use on your PC. You will need a license for that. Your customer might have a mutiplce license for that font, so you could get it from him - depending on the license number owned by the customer and the type of license you might also need to delete it after you finished the translation.

To buy the font for your purposes, you could go for example here http://www.fonts.com/FindFonts/Detail.htm?pid=425865&grab_id=0&page_id=96&query="frutiger"&SCOPE=Fonts and buy the complete Frutiger family font pack or pick a single font from the package and buy a single font.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-05-25 14:01]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Online stores May 25, 2006

Hi Caitriona,
You can purchase fonts online, for example, at the Linotype store. The Frutiger Family Value Pack contains the Frutiger 47 Condensed font.

HTH, Ralf

Caitriona O'Callanain
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fonts - online stores May 25, 2006

Hi Ralf

Great, thanks. I found the Frutiger Family Value pack at Linotype. I am just about to order.

Regards
Caitriona

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 04:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
closest available font? May 25, 2006

caitriona wrote:

automatically changes to the closest available font,which in this instance is Times New Roman.

Times New Roman seems like a pretty poor alternative for Frutiger which, from what I recall, is like a lightweight Helvetica (i.e. sans serif).

A former employer of mine adopted Frutiger as its 'house font' some years ago - and dropped it when they discovered how much it was costing in licences to have it available, in all its variants, on 200+ PCs and their DTP system.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Installing fonts May 25, 2006

caitriona wrote:

My (German) customer uses the font Frutiger 47LightCn. Since this is not installed on my computer nor in the list of fonts provided by Microsoft Office, the target text automatically changes to the closest available font,which in this instance is Times New Roman.

Does MS Word actually change the font? Or does it keep the font as Frutiger 47LightCn, but use a different font to display it on your system?

Marc

Caitriona O'Callanain
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Installing fonts May 25, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

caitriona wrote:

Does MS Word actually change the font? Or does it keep the font as Frutiger 47LightCn, but use a different font to display it on your system?

Marc

Marc,

MS Word doesn't change the font (I can overwrite the text), but Trados Workbench does, when I close the segment.

Caitriona

Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Use TagEditor May 25, 2006

Hi

A smart alternative may be to use the TagEditor - it will not change the font.

Regards

Marek

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 10:50
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Buying fonts May 25, 2006

If you are not working on a final product right before print and you submit your work directly to pinrint house, than it may be OK to have that font.

Otherwise your client may just change the font to Frutig with a few click. If we buy fonts for every project and or every client, we may end up paying more money than softwares.

Am I wrong?

Good luck

Nizam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing fonts

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search