Reducing PDF -> Word overhead
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:58
German to English
Jun 11, 2006

My source document is a large PDF file (180 pages / 9MB) with lots of graphics that, after conversion to Word (saving as Word file), has turned into an 18 MB file. To this I will have to increase the file overhead by adding code for the TOC and index. The client wants a Word file so he can make changes as needed.

Is there any way I can reduce the overhead, apart from removing the numerous screen shots, etc.? (Can't do this, as the client needs them) I made sure that I have a "real"
... See more
My source document is a large PDF file (180 pages / 9MB) with lots of graphics that, after conversion to Word (saving as Word file), has turned into an 18 MB file. To this I will have to increase the file overhead by adding code for the TOC and index. The client wants a Word file so he can make changes as needed.

Is there any way I can reduce the overhead, apart from removing the numerous screen shots, etc.? (Can't do this, as the client needs them) I made sure that I have a "real" Word file instead of an RTF file. This will be a gigantic file when I'm finished, and I'm sure he'll be unhappy with something that large.

All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, Kevin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try this Jun 11, 2006

Click on one image in your Word file.
Usually a tool bar appears. If not, click on View, Toolbars and select the Toolbar "Image" (or similar, my Word is in German).

On thiy toolbar is a button (like here, marked with red square ). Click on it, then select "For all graphics in document" and reduce the resolution to "Screen (96 DPI). This should significantly reduce th
... See more
Click on one image in your Word file.
Usually a tool bar appears. If not, click on View, Toolbars and select the Toolbar "Image" (or similar, my Word is in German).

On thiy toolbar is a button (like here, marked with red square ). Click on it, then select "For all graphics in document" and reduce the resolution to "Screen (96 DPI). This should significantly reduce the size of the document.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reducing word size Jun 11, 2006

If you need to reduce file size, you can try to divide the file into smaller ones to work. You can translate the files and include the TOC at the end by joining all in one.

If you reduce the graphic quality, your client may tell you that it isn't good enough.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
another solution Jun 12, 2006

HI! split the .pdf file into equal easily processable parts and convert one after the other into word. When the document is finished just merge them into one file. This way you don´t have to reduce the graphics weight and the working file is always small. Best Brandis

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
conversion method Jun 12, 2006

If I understand, you saved as Word from Acrobat?

In my experience, when you run the conversion using different tools and settings, the size of the resulting rtf or doc is very different in each case.

You might give it a try.

Antonin

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Try to get the original source files Jun 12, 2006

Since it's a 180 page document it was most likely created in FrameMaker. (Sometimes you can find out which program was used to create the PDF by checking the file properties in Acrobat.)
It would be best if you somehow could convince the agency to request the Frame files (preferably .mif files) from the client. You could then convert the files using Trados S-Tagger. This way you'd only have to deal with the text and several smaller files instead of one big file.

Olaf

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:58
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Jun 12, 2006

Jerzy's solution was the simplest and reduced overhead by over half. The quality of the screen shots isn't critical, the end users will be sitting at a computer when they use the manual.

I'm breaking up the file for my own purposes so I can send the sections to my proofreader in small batches as I complete them. The end client, however, wants a single file.

I tried various conversion tools, the smallest result was about 18 MB.

Unfortunately, my client is a
... See more
Jerzy's solution was the simplest and reduced overhead by over half. The quality of the screen shots isn't critical, the end users will be sitting at a computer when they use the manual.

I'm breaking up the file for my own purposes so I can send the sections to my proofreader in small batches as I complete them. The end client, however, wants a single file.

I tried various conversion tools, the smallest result was about 18 MB.

Unfortunately, my client is a consultant who is 2-3 stages downstream from the author of the document, so obtaining the original source files isn't an option.

My heartfelt thanks to all who took the time to respond.
Kevin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reducing PDF -> Word overhead

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »