Copy-Paste Hello!
Thread poster: Khalid Hantash
Khalid Hantash
Khalid Hantash  Identity Verified
Palestine
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2006

It happens that I copy some text from any site and paste it on Word document. Then, after that whatever text I copy, the paste is "Hello!"
It's really a strange phenomena I've experienced twice. The first time I formatted the computer to get red of it. What should I do now?

Any suggestion other than formatting?

Khalid

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:11
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I'm not sure I correctly understand your problem Jun 28, 2006

but seems like a kind of virus.

Format C: is the last option, I'd recommend before such option to perform the virus scan of your computer.

I think all majour Antivirus sites have an online scan options and also provide free remedies for various viruses found.

I can suggest, say, http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Uldis

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 05:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could it be...? Jun 28, 2006

This may sound very silly but... by any chance, did you copy&paste the word "Hello" earlier?

This happens to me sometimes, that I try to copy&paste something and the copy command doesn't "take", so I end up pasting a previous phrase or word. In these cases, I have to do the copy&paste commands several times...

I hope that's all, silly as it sounds, and not a virus!!!

Khalid Hantash
Khalid Hantash  Identity Verified
Palestine
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy-Paste Hello! Jun 28, 2006

I didn't really copy or paste the word "Hello!"
I copied a text and the paste output was "Hello!" and ever "Hello!"

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:11
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes. it does sound like some kind of virus Jun 28, 2006

Sounds like a virus command incorporated into the registry of your computer, that runs every time you want to paste something. I think it would be an extremely good idea to run a few anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. If necessary, even get a "hijack this" report, and get it evaluated by somebody who knows what they are doing (such as the people who run the web site "www.spywarewarrior.com").

Astrid

agro75
agro75
Local time: 15:41
English to French
Query Aug 1, 2007

Khalid Hantash wrote:

It happens that I copy some text from any site and paste it on Word document. Then, after that whatever text I copy, the paste is "Hello!"
It's really a strange phenomena I've experienced twice. The first time I formatted the computer to get red of it. What should I do now?

Any suggestion other than formatting?

Khalid
Have you found the solution for the problem. I am also facing the same problem. If yes, then can you tell me what is the solution.

Regards,
Pradeep

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 12:11
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Solution! Aug 1, 2007

I think I know what the problem is, and if so, the solution is easy!

We had this before in another forum, and the spurious "hello!" comes from a hidden HTML code that defines a type of stationery that often seems to get used in websites (forum postings, etc.)

The code only appears once the HTML text has been converted to DOC.

The easiest way to avoid it is simply, instead of merely 'pasting' (Ctrl + V in MS Word), use the Edit drop-down menu and choose the
... See more
I think I know what the problem is, and if so, the solution is easy!

We had this before in another forum, and the spurious "hello!" comes from a hidden HTML code that defines a type of stationery that often seems to get used in websites (forum postings, etc.)

The code only appears once the HTML text has been converted to DOC.

The easiest way to avoid it is simply, instead of merely 'pasting' (Ctrl + V in MS Word), use the Edit drop-down menu and choose the command 'paste special' instead — that way you can choose 'unformatted text', which should get rid of such rubbish — or if you're lucky, you might even be able to use 'RTF-formatted text', which would at least preserve some of the more important formatting.

I hope this helps, please do let us know!

[Edited at 2007-08-01 11:48]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy-Paste Hello!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »