Excel: making dictionary
Thread poster: xxxHikonishi
xxxHikonishi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:16
English to Japanese
Aug 12, 2006

I have a dictionary in text file in which odd rows have source language (English) and even rows have target language (Japanese). I want make an Excel file in which the first columns have source language and the second columns have target language.

I simply copied the text file and pasted it on Excel, and made a file. Odd rows have source language in the first column and target language in the second column, while even rows have target language in the first column and source language in the second column.

Now I want to delete all even rows, and make a file in which source is in the first column and target is in the second line. How can I do this? Please advise.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:16
English to Czech
+ ...
Excel: making dictionary Aug 12, 2006

Open the file in Word. Select all (Ctrl+A) and go to: Table - Convert - Text to table. Set 2 columns and paragraphs as the text delimiters. Click OK and you should have your table. Then you can copy it to Excel.

xxxHikonishi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:16
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Works well Aug 12, 2006

Thank you! Now I could get a Excel file for MultiTerm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel: making dictionary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search