Linda Ferwerda
Linda Ferwerda  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 13, 2006

Hi!

Since yesterday I have a problem with Outlook on my desktop. The programs opens and starts sending and receiving, but gets stuck as it has done 12% of this action. After a couple of minutes I get the error message that Outlook doesn't react with the only option to close the program. In the mean time it is impossible to move to another screen or look something up in present files within the program. Word, Internet, Excel function as usual.
I am working with Microsoft Office
... See more
Hi!

Since yesterday I have a problem with Outlook on my desktop. The programs opens and starts sending and receiving, but gets stuck as it has done 12% of this action. After a couple of minutes I get the error message that Outlook doesn't react with the only option to close the program. In the mean time it is impossible to move to another screen or look something up in present files within the program. Word, Internet, Excel function as usual.
I am working with Microsoft Office 2003 in WIndows XP.

Anyone recognizing this problem?
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:42
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Perhaps the Word link Aug 13, 2006

I had my Outlook hanging while sending/receiving, but not crashing like yours. In my case it was due to Word problems.

Try unchecking the option "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages" [Tools/Options/Mail Format tab/...].

Close and reopen Outlook.

If the problem disappeared, it looks like Word is to blame.

Doron

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Microsoft knowledgebase Aug 13, 2006

Hi Linda,

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2520/en-us/?aid=3 for many problems.

or the knowledgebase.

Geneviève

Linda Ferwerda
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately...... Aug 13, 2006

[quote]Doron Greenspan wrote:

I had my Outlook hanging while sending/receiving, but not crashing like yours. In my case it was due to Word problems.

Try unchecking the option "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages" [Tools/Options/Mail Format tab/...].

Close and reopen Outlook.

If the problem disappeared, it looks like Word is to blame.

Thanks for your help, Doron, but unfortunately I can not perform any action in Outlook

Linda Ferwerda
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.... Aug 13, 2006

Thanks Geneviève, but I had been there already!

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 19:42
English
Give Outlook a chance to heal Aug 13, 2006

Since Outlook immediately starts to send and receive, I would force it NOT to start. Since you may not be able to cause it to halt once it has started, unplug your DSL (or whatever you use) so that it cannot communicate with the outside world.

Then, set Outlook to *not* automatically send/receive -- you want to do it on your command. (I forget where the setting is -- I'm on a Mac -- but it's there.) Move any files in the outbox into the drafts folder so they don't take off automat
... See more
Since Outlook immediately starts to send and receive, I would force it NOT to start. Since you may not be able to cause it to halt once it has started, unplug your DSL (or whatever you use) so that it cannot communicate with the outside world.

Then, set Outlook to *not* automatically send/receive -- you want to do it on your command. (I forget where the setting is -- I'm on a Mac -- but it's there.) Move any files in the outbox into the drafts folder so they don't take off automatically.

Then, go through your mailboxes and clean. Check the drafts for attachments; detach, and reattach. Clean all mailboxes of clutter.

Finally, plug your internet connection back in, and start Outlook (nothing else). Send your e-mails *one at a time*. Wait till they are gone before you receive.
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
And check for disk space Aug 13, 2006

I second tlmurray's advice. By sending one at a time, you will see which one is causing the problems.

If you manage to get all the outgoing sent and it crashes on receiving, try accessing your e-mail through your proveider's web site. You may find somebody has sent you a monster attachment. Delete that one e-mail and all will be well

Also, check that you have enough spare space on the drive where outlook
... See more
I second tlmurray's advice. By sending one at a time, you will see which one is causing the problems.

If you manage to get all the outgoing sent and it crashes on receiving, try accessing your e-mail through your proveider's web site. You may find somebody has sent you a monster attachment. Delete that one e-mail and all will be well

Also, check that you have enough spare space on the drive where outlook stores your mail (C: unless you have changed it). Outlook gets really flakey if you are tight on space.

T.
Collapse

Catherine Brix
Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Could Norton be the culprit? Aug 13, 2006

I know that Outlook was affected when I last ran an update of Norton Antivirus - seems the firewall was blocking incoming and outgoing mails. Any chance you have Norton?

Linda Ferwerda
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It still hangs.... Aug 14, 2006

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your advice. I have tried all your suggestions, but still....
Even when I am not sending or receiving, it hangs.

I think I have to re-install.

Have a nice day!

Linda

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Maybe Aug 14, 2006

ctrl + Alt + Delete

Look if in Processes are running 2 Outlooks and close both

Install Office again, but take the option Repair instead of Reinstall (or so)

Search for hanging templates, with all programs closed search for .dot files starting with a ~

How knows

Salut

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
I had the same problem Aug 14, 2006

Mary Brix wrote:

I know that Outlook was affected when I last ran an update of Norton Antivirus - seems the firewall was blocking incoming and outgoing mails. Any chance you have Norton?

Everytime I was putting Norton down for 5 min, I could get my e-mails again.

I was not so nice with Norton then. I threw it away and got myself another firewall. Since then I have never had such problems again.

Linda Ferwerda
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful hints.... Aug 14, 2006

Hi all,

I think I learned a lot about my pc these days.

Yolande, it is not the fire wall causing trouble. I really hoped it was, but no.

Fernando, I will try to repair Outlook as you suggested. I will keep you informed.

Thanks!

Linda Ferwerda
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Aug 15, 2006

The problem has been solved by repairing the installation of Office 2003. I am back in business!

Thanks everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Outlook

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »