How to divide a Word file
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:14
German to Spanish
Aug 17, 2006

I have a too big Doc (with TOC) that I want to divide in two , otherwise I can not open it in Tageditor.
Which is the best workaround? What about the TOC after the translation?

Is there a tool to create this sub-files and recreate it back?

Thanks

Word 2003

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOC can be ignored Aug 17, 2006

Hi Fernando,

You can ignore the TOC. Once you are done, you can automatically update the TOC after creating one Word document again (clean or unclean):
Insert -> Reference -> Index and tables -> Table of Contents -> OK (if it is predefined, if not you can set it up).

Basicallly you can cut up your document in as many pieces as you want

Good luck,
Marijke

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
OK Aug 17, 2006

Many gracias,

I just want to be sure that nothing goes banana after the reunification
It is a big file with lots of "dangerous" things (cross-references, images, tables, etc.)

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 13:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOC - SPlit Aug 17, 2006

The TOC is defined by the styles used in the document.

Heading, subheading, etc.

As far as you keep the styles intact, and do not reformat the documents pieces, then rebuilding the TOC should be a matter of just updating it.

Right click on the TOC itself, and select update fields.

You will be giving the choice if you want to rebuild the entire table or just update the fields.

Arturo..

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Many gracias,

I just want to be sure that nothing goes banana after the reunification
It is a big file with lots of "dangerous" things (cross-references, images, tables, etc.)

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:14
Swedish to English
+ ...
Overlaps Aug 17, 2006

I quite often split large files, such as those with many graphics, into smaller files. I find the safest way is first to identify obvious boundaries in the text, such as the start of new chapters, and split the big file at those points.

But the important thing is to keep a slight overlap -- for example, if you plan to split at the start of Chapter 2, the first file consists of Chapter 1 plus just the heading of Chapter 2. Similarly the next file contains Chapter 2 plus the heading
... See more
I quite often split large files, such as those with many graphics, into smaller files. I find the safest way is first to identify obvious boundaries in the text, such as the start of new chapters, and split the big file at those points.

But the important thing is to keep a slight overlap -- for example, if you plan to split at the start of Chapter 2, the first file consists of Chapter 1 plus just the heading of Chapter 2. Similarly the next file contains Chapter 2 plus the heading of Chapter 3.

Then make a note on a bit of paper listing where you have split the big file. Translate the individual files.

Then just reassemble the individual files back into one big file. Thanks to the overlaps, you can be confident that you have got the files in the right order and with nothing left out.

Then remove the overlaps noted on your bit of paper. To my surprise, this has always worked very well.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A different approach Aug 17, 2006

Instead of splitting the big file leave it as it is.
Then select some 10 or 20 pages from it, copy and paste into a new document. Save it under a remarkable name, such as Document xyz Part one. Repeat this procedure until the end of the file.
Translate the small files. Make all checking and changes with those files. After you are ready copy them back.
In this way you have the big file all the time complete with its structure, so nothing will be damaged.

Regards
... See more
Instead of splitting the big file leave it as it is.
Then select some 10 or 20 pages from it, copy and paste into a new document. Save it under a remarkable name, such as Document xyz Part one. Repeat this procedure until the end of the file.
Translate the small files. Make all checking and changes with those files. After you are ready copy them back.
In this way you have the big file all the time complete with its structure, so nothing will be damaged.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Master document / Subdocuments Aug 17, 2006

In Word 2000 (and, I guess, in subsequent versions also) you can use the Master documnt/Subdocument feature.

The following is extracted from the Word 2000 help (search for 'Master_document'):

What is a master document

A master document is a document that contains a set of related documents. Use a master document to organize and maintain a long document by dividing it into smaller, more manageable subd
... See more
In Word 2000 (and, I guess, in subsequent versions also) you can use the Master documnt/Subdocument feature.

The following is extracted from the Word 2000 help (search for 'Master_document'):

What is a master document

A master document is a document that contains a set of related documents. Use a master document to organize and maintain a long document by dividing it into smaller, more manageable subdocuments. For example, use a master document to organize chapters of a book. In a workgroup, store a master document on a network to share ownership of a document by dividing it into individual subdocuments that can be worked on simultaneously by different users.[/i]

Working with a master document

In a master document, you can quickly change the top-level structure of the document by adding, removing, combining, splitting, renaming, and rearranging subdocuments. You can also create a table of contents, index, cross-references, and headers and footers for all of the subdocuments. The master document's template applies to all the subdocuments, so the entire document has a consistent design. Printing a master document is a fast way to print all the subdocuments without opening them individually.

You use outline view to work with a master document. By default, all subdocuments are hidden when you open a master document, but you can expand or collapse subdocuments or switch in or out of normal view to show or hide detail.

Another approach (if you have it on your system) is the Office Binder. This can combine Word documents, PPTs, Excel sheets, etc. into a single unit, for page-numbering, printing, etc. (Search Word help for 'Binder')

HTH

MediaMatrix
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to divide a Word file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »