United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 2, 2006

Dear Prozians,

I have just done something silly.

In Microsoft Outlook 2003 I have saved an attachment (a doc file) on the hard disk and replaced a 'similar' file with the same name (without first opening it and straight from the e-mail). Only later I realised that the file I have replaced was the version I needed and it is now lost.

I searched past forums about retrieving, undeleting and so on, but none seems to deal with this particular issue.

Any ideas?? Can I find the replaced file somewhere??

Many thanks in advance.

Mirella

Direct link Reply with quote

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Might be Oct 2, 2006

In your temp. files directory.

A.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You could try this application Oct 2, 2006

which is a free tool (shareware) for recovering lost files: PC Inspector File Recovery.

Do not perform any additional file opeerations from now on, until you are sure that you either recovered the file or cannot recover it!

Regards
Jerzy

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
You can try system restore Oct 2, 2006

if you have Windows XP.

For more information, read here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

HTH

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Was the original from email or did you send it once? Oct 3, 2006

In that case the original file will be as attachment either in incoming or sent mail message.
Regards
Heinrich

Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but... Oct 3, 2006

Many thanks for your advice but the file I needed is lost having replaced it with another version from an e-mail.

I only found a previous backup on a different computer and will work on that one.

Lessons learnt: 1) save attachments with a different name and only then check which version you need, 2) keep files in the recycle bin for a longer time and 3) do not try to be too clever at the end of a long working day.

I am very grateful for your time and suggestions. Being able to post a question in this forum has been of great support .

Have a nice, trouble-free working day.

Mirella

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost replaced file

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search