https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/60472-outlook_some_questions.html

Outlook - some questions
Thread poster: Angel_7
Angel_7
Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
French to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2006

I wonder if anyone could help me with the following questions:

1 Backup - I have a backup hard drive with Retrospect software. Will this also back up my Outlook folders and emails? I can't find any instructions to that effect.

2 Redirecting messages - Can I redirect messages to go automatically into certain folders, as I am not currently coping with the sheer amount of emails I receive. If so, how is this done?

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:53
French to English
+ ...
easy Nov 27, 2006

hi sarah

here you go:

1. backup outlook: File>export>to file>.pst format> (you choose your folders, if you want to password protect)> save as to your desktop> copy it to whatever you use for backups.

2. sorting. Organize>create rules: you'll have to do some manual work to begin with, sorting either "from X address" or "to X address" (I have several,so I use that one most) and indicating in which folder those items should go. Once you've done the initial la
... See more
hi sarah

here you go:

1. backup outlook: File>export>to file>.pst format> (you choose your folders, if you want to password protect)> save as to your desktop> copy it to whatever you use for backups.

2. sorting. Organize>create rules: you'll have to do some manual work to begin with, sorting either "from X address" or "to X address" (I have several,so I use that one most) and indicating in which folder those items should go. Once you've done the initial labor, Outlook will handle it nicely.

have a good evening

Patricia
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Outlook folder Nov 27, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:

1 Backup - I have a backup hard drive with Retrospect software. Will this also back up my Outlook folders and emails? I can't find any instructions to that effect.

This is the usual location of Outlook folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{.....................}\Microsoft

You can determine the specific location of this folder on your computer by opening Tools/Options/Maintenance in Outlook and clicking on the Store Folder button. This way you can back up the whole contents of Outlook.

If you should ever use backup copy of this folder, please note that it would be good to delete the original folder from its location and replace it by the folder from the backup - otherwise you'll end up with duplicates of the stored messages. It seems that there is no overwriting here

BR,

Vesna

chinesetrans
chinesetrans
Netherlands
English to Chinese
+ ...
to use the Archive, and then to export it Nov 28, 2006

for back up, would be acheived via the archive if you use MS office outlook.

Angel_7
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Archive? Nov 29, 2006

chinesetrans wrote:

for back up, would be acheived via the archive if you use MS office outlook.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? could you explain further?

Angel_7
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other comments Nov 29, 2006

Patricia Lane wrote:

hi sarah

here you go:

2. sorting. Organize>create rules: you'll have to do some manual work to begin with, sorting either "from X address" or "to X address" (I have several,so I use that one most) and indicating in which folder those items should go. Once you've done the initial labor, Outlook will handle it nicely.

have a good evening

Patricia

Thanks Patricia. Your explanation looks quite simple. I wonder if you could look at Vesna's on the same page and see if you understand the difference. You both seem to know what you are talking about but Vesna seems to be saying something different. Do you have any clarification to add?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook - some questions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »