Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:48
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Nov 30, 2006

Hi

I recently installed Star Office v.8 (SUN) as an alternative to MS-Office but I can't seem to make Trados work with it.

Is it possible at all to integrate Trados Work bench with this package like the way we do with MS-Office programs?

Best

rahi

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
German to English
+ ...
Star Office 8 and Trados Nov 30, 2006

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

I recently installed Star Office v.8 (SUN) as an alternative to MS-Office but I can't seem to make Trados work with it.

Is it possible at all to integrate Trados Work bench with this package like the way we do with MS-Office programs?

The simplest way is probably to convert OOo files to Word etc. with "Save As" in OpenOffice.org.

Marc

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados won't work with StarOffice Nov 30, 2006

Trados cannot work from within StarOffice, as SO has a different programming language from the one used in Microsoft products.

As Marc mentioned, you can only convert your files and then use TagEditor, or work directly on odt files in TagEditor (the latest version of SDLX Trados supports OpenDocument).

There are currently no CAT tools that run from within StarOffice or OpenOffice.org

Sonja

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:48
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SO v.8 Nov 30, 2006

Thanks, think I'm going to stick to MS-Office then.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
alternative is... Nov 30, 2006

to use OpenSource products - like OmegaT - it is familiar with OpemOffi8ce formats.

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Star Office 8 and Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »