Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 20:34
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Dec 1, 2006

Hello. There is a legal document I am translating. Some pages must be letter size and the others legal size. I have not been able to figure out how to do this in the same document. It seems like the pages are either one size or the other. Thanks for your help.

Reed

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Breaks Dec 1, 2006

It's easy: you just have to insert page breaks. Every time you insert a page break at the end of a page, you then start by setting the format of the next page - and then type whatever you have to.

By putting breaks in a document, what you really do is make pages independent from one another - so, the formatting, the language and all other aspects of each section delimited by breaks can be totally different.

All the best!

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:34
English to Spanish
Section breaks... Dec 1, 2006

You can do this using section breaks. Simply use Insert -> Section Break -> Next Page (I'm backtranslating on the fly so treat accordingly).

Then you can change the page size for that section alone, using File -> Paper Setup -> Paper and selecting the appropriate size *and* checking that the option "Apply to -> This section" is selected (as opposed to "Whole document").

This is for Word 2002, but the idea should be fairly the same for any Word flavor.

Hope
... See more
You can do this using section breaks. Simply use Insert -> Section Break -> Next Page (I'm backtranslating on the fly so treat accordingly).

Then you can change the page size for that section alone, using File -> Paper Setup -> Paper and selecting the appropriate size *and* checking that the option "Apply to -> This section" is selected (as opposed to "Whole document").

This is for Word 2002, but the idea should be fairly the same for any Word flavor.

Hope it helps!

p.d. Oops, didn't see the post above, I'll leave mine so you have more specific instructions.

[Edited at 2006-12-01 20:50]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Rossana Dec 1, 2006

Your instructions are more complete than mine and may be more useful

I just wanted to add that I use Word 2000 and the process described by Rossana works just as well in Word 2000.

[Edited at 2006-12-01 21:23]

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 4, 2006

Rossana Triaca wrote:

Hope it helps!

p.d. Oops, didn't see the post above, I'll leave mine so you have more specific instructions.

[Edited at 2006-12-01 20:50]

I still find this method confusing because it adds extra blank pages that say *Section Break*. What can I do about this? Thanks.

Reed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mixing both letter and legal sizes in one document

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »