mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:39
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 23, 2007

I just translated a document on wordfast and it butchered the internal references of the document. Now I have to recreate them. How do I proceed? How do I attribute one thing to the other?

The system is thus: there are many paragraphs ending in "see: system overview". Then you were supposed to click that and jump to the system overview section. It worked in the original, in the translation I get "Error! Origin of reference not found".

How do I repair it? Thanks!

Paweł Lutze
PaweÅ‚ Lutze  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:39
Member (2013)
English to Polish
+ ...
some hints Jan 23, 2007

Hello.

The fastest way to obtain workable solutions is to ask such questions here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

The problem you described occurs sometimes when you choose NOT to manually transfer bookmarks from source to target unit in WF.

What you need now is:

1. Determine what is the name of the original bookm
... See more
Hello.

The fastest way to obtain workable solutions is to ask such questions here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

The problem you described occurs sometimes when you choose NOT to manually transfer bookmarks from source to target unit in WF.

What you need now is:

1. Determine what is the name of the original bookmark.

Open the source document, choose Insert/Bookmark from MS Word menu. You will see a list of bookmarks displayed. You may need to select "Display Hidden" checkbox, as well. Clicking "Go to" button will take you to a given bookmark. Once you know the right name go to step 2

2. Insert a bookmark with the exact name (learned in step 1).

Choose Insert/Bookmark from MS Word menu. Enter the correct name. Click "Add" button.

Now your references should work as needed.

HTH
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:39
German to English
+ ...
not difficult... Jan 23, 2007

but tedious if you have to do it a lot.

1. Place the insertion point to where you want to insert the cross reference.

2. Select 'Cross-reference...' in the Insert menu.

3. At the top of the Cross References window, select the type of cross-reference you want (two fields) and then select the specific (appropriate) cross reference target from the list below.

4. Select and delete the Error... string.

5. Repeat the above steps for eac
... See more
but tedious if you have to do it a lot.

1. Place the insertion point to where you want to insert the cross reference.

2. Select 'Cross-reference...' in the Insert menu.

3. At the top of the Cross References window, select the type of cross-reference you want (two fields) and then select the specific (appropriate) cross reference target from the list below.

4. Select and delete the Error... string.

5. Repeat the above steps for each crossref (although if the same crossref appears in several places in your doc, you can just copy the 'good' crossref and paste it as appropriate).

If you're lucky, the author will have referenced a predefined type of item such as a heading or caption (i.e. not a bookmark), so all you have to do is select it from the list.

If the author used cross-references to bookmarks (user selected text strings), you may have to regenerate the bookmarks first. If you assign each bookmark a meaningful name, it makes it much easier to find the one you want when creating a cross-reference.

Needless to say, you need a copy of the untranslated original text for all this.

[Edited at 2007-01-23 20:55]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cross references (Word)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »