https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/64348-header_and_footer_starts.html

Header and footer starts
Thread poster: Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:26
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 25, 2007

Colleagues, I have a 251 page document with certain characteristics I must fulfill.

a) First of all, there's a frontpage (sheet of paper # 1), no header, no footer, no problem here.

b) Then it comes page 1 (sheet of paper # 2) with the header I managed to put. This header will be the same from page 1 to 250 (from sheet of paper # 2 to sheet of paper # 251).

THIS PAGE HAS NO FOOTER.

-----------------------------------------------------<
... See more
Colleagues, I have a 251 page document with certain characteristics I must fulfill.

a) First of all, there's a frontpage (sheet of paper # 1), no header, no footer, no problem here.

b) Then it comes page 1 (sheet of paper # 2) with the header I managed to put. This header will be the same from page 1 to 250 (from sheet of paper # 2 to sheet of paper # 251).

THIS PAGE HAS NO FOOTER.

-----------------------------------------------------

My question is , how can I start the header from page 1 and the footer from page 2? It seems Word automatically starts header and footer in the same page.

[Edited at 2007-01-25 18:42]

[Edited at 2007-01-25 20:28]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 22:26
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Easy! Jan 25, 2007

You start both, but just leave one or the other blank; then what you need to do is insert a "section break" (check the box "new page", or whatever it's called in English) at the end of page 1, and then when you come to page 2, you can start with fresh header / footer, as long as you unselect the button "link from previous section"

It's easy enough to copy-&-paste bits you do want from one set of h/f to the next, and you also have the choice of setting the start point of your
... See more
You start both, but just leave one or the other blank; then what you need to do is insert a "section break" (check the box "new page", or whatever it's called in English) at the end of page 1, and then when you come to page 2, you can start with fresh header / footer, as long as you unselect the button "link from previous section"

It's easy enough to copy-&-paste bits you do want from one set of h/f to the next, and you also have the choice of setting the start point of your page numbers...

(If you need more help, e-mail me privately, and I'll send you a dummy document to illustrate what I mean)

[Edited at 2007-01-25 19:04]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Jan 25, 2007

Tony, thank you very much for that dummy e-mail. It was veryclear. I was failing with that special button to unsuscribe which is called "SAME AS PREVIOUS" of the "HEADER AND FOOTER" toolbar.

Now, I can have several header and several footers !

But guess what? That's 50% of the job. Now, I have another doubt about the page number. Let me explain you.

========================================

Pages 1 to 50 (overall) belong to colou
... See more
Tony, thank you very much for that dummy e-mail. It was veryclear. I was failing with that special button to unsuscribe which is called "SAME AS PREVIOUS" of the "HEADER AND FOOTER" toolbar.

Now, I can have several header and several footers !

But guess what? That's 50% of the job. Now, I have another doubt about the page number. Let me explain you.

========================================

Pages 1 to 50 (overall) belong to colour VIOLET
Pages 51 to 120 (overall) belong to colour YELLOW
Pages 121 to 250 (overall) belong to colur RED.

This page number is already in the upper right corner, from 1 to 250...let's say with a font size of 11. But NOW, my clients are asking to another ! page numeration regarding each colour in the lower part with a tiny size font.

- For VIOLET, from 1/50 to 50/50 (page 1 to 50 overall)

-For YELLOW, from 1/70 (page 51 overall) to 70/70 (page 120 overall)

-For RED, from 1/130 (page 121 overall) to 130/130 (page 250 overall)

I tried to use the "INSERT PAGE NUMBER" but it inserted the overall page number. Of course, I can INSERT A TEXT BOX but I would have to do it manually 250 times

Is there a way to insert a second pag numeration independent from the first one?

Thank you and have a nice day!
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advance Jan 25, 2007

What I've managed to do is to insert a field in the footers. This field inserts the total number of pages OF EACH SEPARATED section. In my example it can be seen "__/50", "__/70", and "__/130".

I need to fill automatically this space: ___

(I hope there's no need to program a macro )

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
NOT "Easy, again!" Jan 25, 2007

SORRY! I'm talking rubbish! I'm too tired, not thinking straight; OF COURSE what I suggested couldn't possibly
work!

Sorry, I don't know enough to suggest any other solution to your problem.

Best of luck!

You can start the page numbering for each section from any page number you choose (the 3rd # button in the header / footer control panel accesses the various options).

[So far, so good]

But this next bit is complete
... See more
SORRY! I'm talking rubbish! I'm too tired, not thinking straight; OF COURSE what I suggested couldn't possibly
work!

Sorry, I don't know enough to suggest any other solution to your problem.

Best of luck!

You can start the page numbering for each section from any page number you choose (the 3rd # button in the header / footer control panel accesses the various options).

[So far, so good]

But this next bit is complete rubbish, sorry!

"So if you make each of those colours a new section, you can re-start the page number for each section (if you un-link the footer), but keep the header page nnumbers going if you want (by linking them all)

Those link / un-link things seem to work a bit oddly, if you try and do it after you've already created a header / footer — you sometimes have to go back and forth a bit to sort it out.

So you should be able to have (say) "page 34 / 250" in the header and "page 2 / 50" in the footer — to keep it simple, it may be easier to enter the ... / number manually, so you don't have to worry about carrying it across the sections.

Clear?"

That page number control panel also let's you change the formatting of the numbers, including font, size, etc.

[Edited at 2007-01-26 00:45]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disconnection. Jan 26, 2007

Tony M wrote:

Clear?

Not at all, sorry

When I insert the lower page number, the upper changes. I don't know how to disconnect the upper numeration from the lower one.

I am sending my reviewed super dummy file. Maybe after viewing it, you can make it some changes. My brain is dry tonight! If this makes too much noise, then I'll do it manually.

Thanx again, Tony.

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks, Tony. Jan 26, 2007

That's really useful info.

In the English version of Word2003, it's
Insert -> Break -> Section break types - Next page -> OK.

Thanks again, Tony!

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 16:26
English
One number per page Jan 29, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:
My question is , how can I start the header from page 1 and the footer from page 2? It seems Word automatically starts header and footer in the same page.

Bottom line: You cannot assign two different page numbers to the same page. The page is an object in Word, and as an object it has one number assigned to it. You can use sections to change that number, but you still can use only one number. Unfortunately headers and footers don't allow SEQ (sequence) fields.

However, if they want to see it on paper but not on the screen, you can fake it. Print the document using one set of numbers. Then create another document that is completely blank other than (for example) the footer, and run the paper through the printer again -- hoping that it doesn't miss-feed!

[Edited at 2007-01-29 01:48]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can have two page numbers on one sheet of paper in Word Jan 29, 2007

for example when you use landscape and book-like pager structure. The left part on the page may have a different (and automatic) number in Word. To achieve that you need field functions and combine mathematic operations with Words page number. At the moment I don't remember the exact formula, but it is either documente in Word help or in MS Knowledge Base, so I would need to look.

EDIT:
For the left hand part of the page you need to take "(page numer) * 2 - 1" (odd number), an
... See more
for example when you use landscape and book-like pager structure. The left part on the page may have a different (and automatic) number in Word. To achieve that you need field functions and combine mathematic operations with Words page number. At the moment I don't remember the exact formula, but it is either documente in Word help or in MS Knowledge Base, so I would need to look.

EDIT:
For the left hand part of the page you need to take "(page numer) * 2 - 1" (odd number), and for the right part "(page number) * 2" (pair number). This works throught the whole document. So you need a field for a mathematics formula, where you simply enter those operations, using Word page numer counting as element.

Best regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-01-29 10:07]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Header and footer starts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »