Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:29
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Feb 3, 2007

Dear all

I have worked on 193 PowerPoint files (English to Bengali translation) that now need to be handed over to the client.

Seeing the sheer size (76 MB) of the whole document, I understood that I cannot easily send it via Internet, unless I cut into several pieces but that would be like to cut a body into pieces!!. I have tried to zip it, but it did not get compressed much, just 1 or 2 megabyte. Is th
... See more
Dear all

I have worked on 193 PowerPoint files (English to Bengali translation) that now need to be handed over to the client.

Seeing the sheer size (76 MB) of the whole document, I understood that I cannot easily send it via Internet, unless I cut into several pieces but that would be like to cut a body into pieces!!. I have tried to zip it, but it did not get compressed much, just 1 or 2 megabyte. Is there any software to significantly compress PowerPoint file?

However, as the client is in my city, I will deliver it hand-to-hand, as I took it hand to hand.

But I am thinking if the client were from the USA, or other countries, with which I always work, how could I have sent the file?

Another related question is that what should be the standard Internet speed/bandwidth for freelancers like me so that I can easily send or receive files?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Best

Lubain Masum
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:29
English to German
+ ...
part compress Feb 3, 2007

Hi! say 19 slides per batch so that you have 10 compressed files. Queue them on the internet for shipment, inform your outsourcer accordingly. Best Brandis

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
FTP Feb 3, 2007

Good thing you can walk to your client's site.

With that many files and that big a job, if it was a client from a foreign country they most probably would have FTP capabilities and would grant you restricted access so you could transfer the files out and in.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use an archive utility like WinRAR Feb 3, 2007

I have often found that certain types of files (often image ones) do not compress very much, simply because they are already heavily compressed within their own formats.

Using WinRAR and other similar programs, you can create an archive (perhaps without much compression), BUT you can create it in several parts, defining the size of each chunk, and if necessary making it self-extracting (in case your client does not possess the same application!)

On the bandwidth issue,
... See more
I have often found that certain types of files (often image ones) do not compress very much, simply because they are already heavily compressed within their own formats.

Using WinRAR and other similar programs, you can create an archive (perhaps without much compression), BUT you can create it in several parts, defining the size of each chunk, and if necessary making it self-extracting (in case your client does not possess the same application!)

On the bandwidth issue, I was struggling here with a dial-up connection that had difficulty achieving even 30k, and caused me no end of problems with big files.

Since I went over to broadband (ADSL), even on quite a slow connection (sometimes, only 512k), I have had much better results, and far fewer crashes. But of course, remember that the UPload speed is nothing like as good as the DOWNload speed!

I have also found that the use of an FTP server helped solve a lot of my problems with transferring large files, even on dial-up; at least with FTP, you can pick up again if the transfer crashes in mid-stream.
Collapse

Maurizio Valente
Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
Skype and yousendit.com Feb 3, 2007

Dear Lubain,
I often use Skype or www.yousendit.com for sending very big files (up to 400 MB).
With both systems, the transmission rate varies during the day, depending on the current traffic on the Internet).
But this doesn't solve the problem unless you have an always-on brodband connection (starting from 1 Mbps, nominal rate).

Lubain Masum wrote:

Dear all

Seeing the sheer size (76 MB) of the whole document, I understood that I cannot easily send it via Internet, unless I cut into several pieces but that would be like to cut a body into pieces!!. I have tried to zip it, but it did not get compressed much, just 1 or 2 megabyte. Is there any software to significantly compress PowerPoint file?

However, as the client is in my city, I will deliver it hand-to-hand, as I took it hand to hand.

But I am thinking if the client were from the USA, or other countries, with which I always work, how could I have sent the file?

Another related question is that what should be the standard Internet speed/bandwidth for freelancers like me so that I can easily send or receive files?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Best

Lubain Masum

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Skype and YouSendIt (2) Feb 3, 2007

Yes, Skype is another good one, I've found it very reliable, BUT it does need both you and the recipient to be connected, as files have to be "accepted" before they are transferred.

I've had less success, personally, with YouSendIt, which seemed a bit unwieldy; however, some of my clients use it and are full of praise for the system.

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
FTP Feb 3, 2007

I also use Yousendit

A.

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Luisa, Tony, Brandis, Maurizio and Alicia for good suggestions. Feb 3, 2007

I have downloaded Skype earlier readings some posts in proz. However, none of my clients has yet to request me Skype.

Some of my clients say that they have FTP server and when needed, I can download files from it. But to be honest, as I did not properly understand what is it and how it works. I would be happy if some explains.

I use broadband both at home and office, and my home line is a shared line that shows 10 mbps in my computer's LAN status while my office line sh
... See more
I have downloaded Skype earlier readings some posts in proz. However, none of my clients has yet to request me Skype.

Some of my clients say that they have FTP server and when needed, I can download files from it. But to be honest, as I did not properly understand what is it and how it works. I would be happy if some explains.

I use broadband both at home and office, and my home line is a shared line that shows 10 mbps in my computer's LAN status while my office line shows 100 mbps.

So far I did not have to send files like this one and therefore did not face any problem. I am satisfied with the current service of my Internet service provider, except that, as pointed out by Tony, the upload speed is slower than the download speed. My local ISP says there is dedicated line where I will get equal speed in both uploading and downloading. That is why I am planning to take a dedicated 32kbps line that will cost me triple of the monthly charge that I am paying currently. Some people say I do not need it, as it is 'huge' capacity that I cannot 'consume'. That is why I am confused about it.
Collapse

GLENN MCBRIDE WITHENSHAW
GLENN MCBRIDE WITHENSHAW
Mexico
Local time: 18:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
download Feb 3, 2007

I place large files on my website and send my client a link to download the file.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
FTP Feb 3, 2007

The client places the files in their server. They send you an email with instructions and password. You access the site, enter your password, click on "your" directory, and copy/drag the files to your desktop or selected directory in your computer. When ready to deliver, you do the same thing the other way around. It´s done in the blink of an eye.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Hey man it is lot simple than you think Feb 3, 2007

I think you are overworking now. just find a compression size of 1 MB, this size file transfer is mostly accepted by most mail providers. split your finished work into 1 MB to be on the safe side, and just ship. avoid oily food bad for the head. best brandis

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
an old fashined but sure shot Feb 3, 2007

burn a cd and send via postal mail

Şadan Öz
Şadan Öz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:29
English to Turkish
Yes, FTP! Feb 3, 2007

Your actual job that you have to send probably includes images. You cannot compress into a few MBs.

So, Lubain, for this job and future ones, it would be good to learn how to use FTP. It's not a difficult process.

By using a user name and password that came from your client (if FTP site is not open to anonymous users), you can paste the files into the site like a folder in your computer.
Try t
... See more
Your actual job that you have to send probably includes images. You cannot compress into a few MBs.

So, Lubain, for this job and future ones, it would be good to learn how to use FTP. It's not a difficult process.

By using a user name and password that came from your client (if FTP site is not open to anonymous users), you can paste the files into the site like a folder in your computer.
Try this:
1) Ask an access user name and password from the client for their FTP site. If they send these to you,

2) Write their ftp site address in your browser address bar (for example: ftp.XXXX.com)

3) When you enter the site, probably you will see a dialogue box that prompts you to enter your user name and password.
If there is no such a box, right click on any place on the window. You will see a pop-up menu. Choose Login item of the menu. Then you can see that dialogue.

4) You will access a page (folder) of the site.
(By the way, select and copy your said PPT files.)
5) In this folder, in any place, right-click again. And paste the files via this menu.
Uploading starts... Wait for the completion of your file uploading. It may take a few hours totally. Send them file by file.
If you couldn't do this, send me a private message. I can explain it by practicing on my ftp site.

Good luck,
Sadan
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
A useful (and cheap) program Feb 4, 2007

www.powershrink.com

Specially designed for shrinking PPTs

Cheers,
Andy

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 18:29
English to Spanish
Use "SendThisFile"... Feb 4, 2007

No matter how big, it will go!
http://www.sendthisfile.com/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to compress PowerPoint files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »