Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:10
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 16, 2007

Hi,

How can I see in a printout the grey hightlight around those words/phrases/fields whose contents are created 'automatically'?

For example, dates, page numbers etc.

NOTE: I want to print the actual data of the field, NOT the 'field code'.

Thanks, Doron

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:10
English to French
+ ...
Tools > Options > Display tab Feb 16, 2007

Hi Doron,

In the Tools > Options > Display tab you have a "Highlight fields" menu at the end of the "Display" section, just below the "Field codes" check box. I don't know the exact wording because I have a French version. Select "Always" so that code fields are always highlighted.

HTH
Marie-Céline

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but still it doesn't print Feb 16, 2007

Many thanks, Marie-Céline, but while the grey highlight does display on screen, it still doesn't print.

Other ideas?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
They are not designed to be printed on the grey background Feb 16, 2007

as they shall appear in the document as usuall text.
To get them grey in the print you will need to select them one by one and place on a gray backgrund (25% grey or more for a laser printer) to have them marked in the printout.

AFAIK there is no way of having them automatic on a grey background in the printout.

Regards
Jerzy

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
agree with Jerzy Feb 16, 2007

although you could probably define a character style with a grey text background and then use Find & Replace to apply it to all fields (haven't tried this...).

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried also the Find & Replace workaround, but Feb 16, 2007

Couldn't bring those words/phrases under any single definition. Even the "field" option in F&R doesn't highlight them.

So there's no way of applying any formatting to them through a workaround.

Thanks, Jerzy and Ken, I'll try to find another solution (it's a 200-page document...).

Doron

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
ignore Feb 16, 2007

...the suggestion missed the point

[Edited at 2007-02-16 15:52]

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
applying a character style to fields Feb 16, 2007

I just tried it, and it didn't work the first time, but it is possible.

First create a new character style (Format > Style > New / Character style). Select Format > Borders and Shading, set a grey level level on the Shading tab (35% works nicely with my printer), and give the style a name (e.g. 'grey').

Now comes the trick. At least on my system, Find & Replace doesn't find fields (^d in the Find box) unless you enable field code display (Tools > Options > View > tick 'Field codes') (that's what I like about MS: predictable, intuitive user interfaces...).

Now you can use Find & Replace to apply the 'grey' style to all all fields. Enter ^d in the Find box, leave the Replace box blank, select the 'grey' style as an attribute of the Replace field (More > Style > select 'grey'), and then click Replace All. After you mark all the fields, change the Options/View field codes setting back to normal; the shading will still be there. And it will also be there in the printout.

Enjoy!

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and enjoy I did! Feb 18, 2007

Many thanks, Ken, for your smart, well-worked out solution - it worked and saved me much work trying to figure out which the automatic fields are.

Much appreciated, Doron

[Edited at 2007-02-18 06:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word: how to print grey highlight for 'automatic' fields

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search