https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/69936-switching_off_office_assistant.html

switching off Office Assistant
Thread poster: lexical
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:09
Portuguese to English
Apr 4, 2007

I'm sick of that annoying little paperclip man offering me unwanted advice every time I type "Dear Sir". I've no desire to be condescended to by a mere paperclip. Is there a way of disabling this feature?

I'm using Office Professional 97 on Windows XP.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
2 ways to get rid of him Apr 4, 2007

1. right click on the assistant, select "hide", click. The man is gone.
2. go to Help > hide assistant.

Sorry if the options have not exacly these names in EN, am using PL Windows.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Agnieszka

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:09
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You can replace paperclip with Einstein, for instance Apr 4, 2007

lexical wrote:

I'm sick of that annoying little paperclip man offering me unwanted advice every time I type "Dear Sir". I've no desire to be condescended to by a mere paperclip. Is there a way of disabling this feature?

I'm using Office Professional 97 on Windows XP.

Yes, the paperclip is annoying. Did you know that as well as disabling him completely (definitely the best idea) you can replace him with another "office assistant" (equally annoying) - for example, Einstein, who scratches his head when you do "search and replace", and produces a lightbulb above his head when he has a good idea. At the moment, I've replaced the paperclip with a cat that miaows, chases flies, curls up and goes to sleep, and scratches the screen when you save a file. Am I mad?
Cheers,
Jenny.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Mad? No, just silly ;-) Apr 5, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:
Am I mad?

Well, no. I use the dog. The dog seems to have a better set of animations than the cat. I get a bit of entertainment when it turns its back to me and seems to scrutinize the mess I'm making on the screen.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2007-04-05 07:22]

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
madness continued Apr 5, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

At the moment, I've replaced the paperclip with a cat that miaows, chases flies, curls up and goes to sleep, and scratches the screen when you save a file. Am I mad?

If you're mad, I'm VERY mad.
I even got used to the cat. And my cats react with alarm when their digital lookalike meows. Honestly!

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Apr 6, 2007

...for all your help and suggections.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

switching off Office Assistant

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »