Thread poster: Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 12, 2007

My Outlook fPST file appears to be corrupt. Outlook gives me the I've crashed and I want to talk to Microsoft dialog box when I bring it up. I moved my PST file to another machine, and it does the same thing there. Kaspersky crashes attempting to scan Outlook related objects.

My wife found me information about Scanpst.exe. I ran that and it did its thing and told me it repaired the file, but the same thing happens.

I've rerouted my mail to my other machine. Actuall
... See more
My Outlook fPST file appears to be corrupt. Outlook gives me the I've crashed and I want to talk to Microsoft dialog box when I bring it up. I moved my PST file to another machine, and it does the same thing there. Kaspersky crashes attempting to scan Outlook related objects.

My wife found me information about Scanpst.exe. I ran that and it did its thing and told me it repaired the file, but the same thing happens.

I've rerouted my mail to my other machine. Actually, if I ignore the crash dialog box, Outlook stays up and working. But it's annoying, since it stays up on top of all other windows.

I have always wondered if there is any way to save all or portions of the PST file in some other fashion. I could then rebuild it from scratch or from a recent backup.

If anyone knows how to do this, or has any other suggestions on how to deal with this ("get a Mac" is not currently an option, though I am considering that for my next machine), please let me know.
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
Polish to English
+ ...
Problems Apr 13, 2007

I don't know the answer to your problem, but:

- have you tried archiving some of your e-mails?
(file menu -> archive and then on to other options)

Have you tried this:

move (not copy) your pst file to another location and start outlook. it should make a new, empty pst file.

then try opening your old file in outlook (maybe rename it to something else beforehand, like junk.pst)

if it opens, copy all your emails from the old fil
... See more
I don't know the answer to your problem, but:

- have you tried archiving some of your e-mails?
(file menu -> archive and then on to other options)

Have you tried this:

move (not copy) your pst file to another location and start outlook. it should make a new, empty pst file.

then try opening your old file in outlook (maybe rename it to something else beforehand, like junk.pst)

if it opens, copy all your emails from the old file to the new by hand (i.e. drag and drop)

restart outlook and pray for the best.

If you have already done that - sorry.
The outlook backup copy utility is probably no help because it just copies the pst file to another location, so the backup copy will also be corrupt (unless your backup is old, but then you lose your recent emails...)

HTH
It's Friday the 13th today, so best of luck!
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupt Outlook file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »