Thread poster: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 11:18
English to German
+ ...
Apr 18, 2007

Hello,

the above is what I get in the lower half of a translated 2 page Content Table in WORD when I try to print out the overwritten document.

In other words.

The text has the numbered content headings on the left and a pointed line running to the corresponding page number on the right, like this

project description .............................. 3

scope....................................................5

equipment
... See more
Hello,

the above is what I get in the lower half of a translated 2 page Content Table in WORD when I try to print out the overwritten document.

In other words.

The text has the numbered content headings on the left and a pointed line running to the corresponding page number on the right, like this

project description .............................. 3

scope....................................................5

equipment.............................................7

I just overwrote the words and let the numbers stay. When printing out, all to line "project description" went normal, for all that came behind, instead of the numbers I get that message - error! textmark not defined. And it is like this, that the piece is printed, with this error message replacing the numbers to the rest of the document. After that, the messages are still on the document. When I click on the return arrow in the task menu the messages disappear. - But on printing again, they are coming back.

I copied into an empty new document, but the result remains.

There are some explanations about "textmarks" in the WORD Help, but they do not lead me anywhere.

R.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you really overwritten the table of contents? Apr 18, 2007

If so, you did a lot of unnecessary work.

Save a copy of your translated document and do an experiment. Place the cursor somwhere in the TOC and press F9, then answer "Recreate the whole TOC". You should get an untranslated TOC now.

In order to translate a TOC in Word you have only to overweritte the headings and let then Word recreate the TOC from translated headings.

If this does not help - please make sure that you are showing hidden text in Word and loo
... See more
If so, you did a lot of unnecessary work.

Save a copy of your translated document and do an experiment. Place the cursor somwhere in the TOC and press F9, then answer "Recreate the whole TOC". You should get an untranslated TOC now.

In order to translate a TOC in Word you have only to overweritte the headings and let then Word recreate the TOC from translated headings.

If this does not help - please make sure that you are showing hidden text in Word and look at the headings in your document. There may be some extra (but usually hidden) text just for creating the TOC.

The described behaviour is not a bug of Word, but a feature - Word does actualise all links in the document, tables of contents and similar when printing, in order to get all numbers corresponding to pages in printed document. You can switch this behaviour on or off via menu Tools - Options - Printing (Extras - Optionen - Drucken) - Actualise fields (Felder aktualisieren) and Actualise links (Verknüpfungen aktualisieren).
Now switch to the "View" tab and set "Field shading" (Feldschattierung) to "always" (immer). The TOC should appear now on a grey backgroung - so informing you, that this is not text, but a field, automatically generateby by Word.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vielen Dank für die Hinweise - Apr 18, 2007

Dass das etwas mit Feldern zu tun haben wird, dachte ich mir schon.

Es hat da aber wohl ein Missverständnis bezüglich des Worts "overwriting" gegeben.

Das Inhaltsverzeichnis nimmt die Seiten 2 und 3 des 40-Seiten-Texts ein. Wenn ich den Cursor irgendwo in eine dieser beiden Seiten setze und F9 drücke, passiert überhaupt nichts.

Mit "overwriting" meinte ich nur, dass ich den Sourcetext, hier ja meistens nur ein paar Wörter pro Zeile, markiert und mit de
... See more
Dass das etwas mit Feldern zu tun haben wird, dachte ich mir schon.

Es hat da aber wohl ein Missverständnis bezüglich des Worts "overwriting" gegeben.

Das Inhaltsverzeichnis nimmt die Seiten 2 und 3 des 40-Seiten-Texts ein. Wenn ich den Cursor irgendwo in eine dieser beiden Seiten setze und F9 drücke, passiert überhaupt nichts.

Mit "overwriting" meinte ich nur, dass ich den Sourcetext, hier ja meistens nur ein paar Wörter pro Zeile, markiert und mit der Übersetzung überschrieben habe. Und natürlich lasse ich dann den Rest, die punktierte Linie und die Zahlen, wie er ist.

Wahrscheinlich habe ich dabei irgendwo eine der Feldfunktionen gelöscht.

Die Anzeige der Feldschattierung nutzt gar nichts. Und die Funktionen "Felder aktualisieren" und "Verknüpfungen aktualisieren" sind nicht angeklickt.

"Verborgenen Text anzeigen" bringt auch keine neuen Erkenntnisse, nicht einmal verborgenen Text.

N.

[Edited at 2007-04-18 23:34]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Trados und Inhaltverzeichnis Apr 19, 2007

Das Inhaltsverzeichnis ist kein echtes Text, sondern eine Wiederholung der Texte, die Word als Textmarks erkennt (Kapitel usw).

Was ich immer mache ist wie folgt:

i) ich lösche im Original den Index (! - keine Dauerschäden)
ii) ich übersetze das Ganze - da kommt TRADOS zur Geltung, alles andere hier ist Word.
iii) ich gehe auf die Stelle, wo man das Inhaltsverzeichnis erwartet und erstelle das Neue mittels Einfügen/Referenz/Index und Verzeichnisse. Das
... See more
Das Inhaltsverzeichnis ist kein echtes Text, sondern eine Wiederholung der Texte, die Word als Textmarks erkennt (Kapitel usw).

ii) ich übersetze das Ganze - da kommt TRADOS zur Geltung, alles andere hier ist Word.
iii) ich gehe auf die Stelle, wo man das Inhaltsverzeichnis erwartet und erstelle das Neue mittels Einfügen/Referenz/Index und Verzeichnisse. Das kann man auch ohne Punkt i) zu machen, nur dass in dem Fall hin und wieder diese irritierende "error! textmark not defined" Bemerkungen auftreten.

Ich habe lange gebraucht, um sich das Übersetzen der Einträge abzugewöhnen - aber irgendwann hat's geklappt.

Gruesse

[Edited at 2007-04-19 05:24]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It looks like you do not have an automatic TOC Apr 19, 2007

Sorry, but we have to keep this here in English - it is a general forum.

Now summarizing what you wrote, if field shading does not show effect on the TOC and pressing F9 does also not show any effect, it seems to me you do not have an automatic generated TOC there.
I do not know the solution without having seen the document. So please be so kind and send it to me at info at doku minus trans dot de (or contact me via my profile).

Best regards
Jerzy

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
misunderstandings 'a mushrooming - 1 Apr 19, 2007

Sorry, but we have to keep this here in English - it is a general forum.

No one will be hurt if a few exchanges are in something else than En. But apparently De does not precluede further misunderstanding.

Now summarizing what you wrote, if field shading does not show effect on the TOC and pressing F9 does also not show any effect, it seems to me you do not have an automatic generated TOC there.

F9 does not give any result. - But field shade "ever" does. The whole two pages of the Content Summary - what you call obviously TOC - are grey, when field shades is on "ever". I did not say, that it did not show - which would be "Felder werden nicht angezeigt", but the display is of no use "Die Anzeige der Feldschattierung nutzt gar nichts."

I do not know the solution without having seen the document. So please be so kind and send it to me at info at doku minus trans dot de (or contact me via my profile).

I had a similar idea this very morning, when your ProZ P was
still green - for available - but a Skype call was declined.

N.

[Edited at 2007-04-19 09:11]

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
misunderstandings 'a mushrooming - 2 Apr 19, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

iii) ich gehe auf die Stelle, wo man das Inhaltsverzeichnis erwartet und erstelle das Neue mittels Einfügen/Referenz/Index und Verzeichnisse. Das kann man auch ohne Punkt i) zu machen, nur dass in dem Fall hin und wieder diese irritierende "error! textmark not defined" Bemerkungen auftreten.

Ich habe lange gebraucht, um sich das Übersetzen der Einträge abzugewöhnen - aber irgendwann hat's geklappt.

Gruesse

[Edited at 2007-04-19 05:24]

Ich verstehe hier nur noch Bahnhof.

Ich habe diese Sache bei Office eingerückt, weil ich das nicht mit Trados oder einem anderen CAT gemacht habe. Und das habe ich deshalb nicht gemacht, weil ich damit dieses Dokument mit sehr grosser Wahrscheinlichkeit nie ordentlich rückgecleant bekommen hätte.

Gruss

R.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sounds like you probably DO have a 'proper' TOC then Apr 19, 2007

Roland Nienerza wrote:
F9 does not give any result. - But field shade "ever" does. The whole two pages of the Content Summary - what you call obviously TOC - are grey, when field shades is on "ever".

If the TOC does indeed show up as a greyed field when you click in it, then it almost certainly IS a genuine TOC; in which case, right-clicking in it and selecting 'update fields' and 'update entire field contents' (i.e. not 'just page numbers') should tell the TOC to recreate itself using the translated headings from within your doc.

(of course, you'll need to figure out what the German equivalents of those commands are!)

By all means, send me the doc. to check for you, but you need to do so quickly as I have to go out soon!

[Edited at 2007-04-19 11:54]

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Tony, Apr 19, 2007

thank you for caring.

I would like to take this up at another occasion. For the time being and under time pressure I have enough information to cope.

Rgds

Roland

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Bitte schön! Apr 19, 2007

I've had a lot of hassle with these things myself in the past!

Best of luck with the rest of your job!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error! textmark not defined.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »