https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/70956-word_xp_2003_greek_characters_with_accents.html

Word XP/2003 & Greek characters with accents
Thread poster: Evdoxia R. (X)
Evdoxia R. (X)
Evdoxia R. (X)
Greece
Local time: 23:35
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 19, 2007

Hi everyone,

Need some help. I'm desperate.

I've tried both Word XP & 2003 but I cant write properly Greek characters and especially those ones with accents.

I've tried the following solutions:

1) Uninstall Word Xp & Re-install
2) Unistall Word 2003 & Re-install
3) Used another keyboard
4) Used OEM and Original Office

Note: I can write properly in all other applications such as Notepad, Outlook Express, Excel, Po
... See more
Hi everyone,

Need some help. I'm desperate.

I've tried both Word XP & 2003 but I cant write properly Greek characters and especially those ones with accents.

I've tried the following solutions:

1) Uninstall Word Xp & Re-install
2) Unistall Word 2003 & Re-install
3) Used another keyboard
4) Used OEM and Original Office

Note: I can write properly in all other applications such as Notepad, Outlook Express, Excel, Powerpoint.

Please HELP!!!!!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 22:35
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Too obvious, but... Apr 19, 2007

I don't have any special knowledge of Greek, nor am I a Word whizz-kid, but I just wanted to suggest a couple of really obvious things that I would want to check first:

have you actually got Greek selected as the language — perhaps that might have an effect?

also, in FR there is an option under 'Tools/Options' to enable accented capital letters (traditionally not used in FR typography) — I wonder if there is any similar kind of setting in your presumably Greek versi
... See more
I don't have any special knowledge of Greek, nor am I a Word whizz-kid, but I just wanted to suggest a couple of really obvious things that I would want to check first:

have you actually got Greek selected as the language — perhaps that might have an effect?

also, in FR there is an option under 'Tools/Options' to enable accented capital letters (traditionally not used in FR typography) — I wonder if there is any similar kind of setting in your presumably Greek version of Word?

And, as an experiment, can you access the characters you need via the 'Format/insert special characters' command? If not, could it be that they are simply not available in the font you are trying to use?
Collapse

Evdoxia R. (X)
Evdoxia R. (X)
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word & Greek characters with accents Apr 19, 2007

Hi Tony,
Thanks for you reply.

1) Greek language is properly installed and functional since I can write everything in any other program.

2) The option about "accented capital letters" exists in the Greek menu too, but only for French.

3) Yes, I can insert all the characters I want into the Word.

Thanks
Evdoxia

P.S.: there is something else strange in my Word, I cant write any single word unless I press spacebar one time
... See more
Hi Tony,
Thanks for you reply.

1) Greek language is properly installed and functional since I can write everything in any other program.

2) The option about "accented capital letters" exists in the Greek menu too, but only for French.

3) Yes, I can insert all the characters I want into the Word.

Thanks
Evdoxia

P.S.: there is something else strange in my Word, I cant write any single word unless I press spacebar one time. This applies only in Greek. In English everything works perfectly.
Collapse

Kali Bourdi
Kali Bourdi
English to Greek
Help me too!!! Apr 20, 2007

I have exactly the same problem with you!!!
Can you help me please?…..

Regards
Kali

Evdoxia R. (X)
Evdoxia R. (X)
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SOLUTION :Word XP/2003 & Greek characters with accents Apr 23, 2007

Hi,

Kali found the solution to this problem, which mainly occurs in HP Workstation PCs.

1) Uninstall "PDF COMPLETE" by selecting START > CONTROL PANEL> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS

2) Download the file (15MB) from
... See more
Hi,

Kali found the solution to this problem, which mainly occurs in HP Workstation PCs.

1) Uninstall "PDF COMPLETE" by selecting START > CONTROL PANEL> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS

2) Download the file (15MB) from this link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=el&cc=gr&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3211220&swItem=wk-48501-1&prodNameId=3211221&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

3) Install the exe you got from HP and everything will work just perfect.

Thanks Kali
Precious info
Evdoxia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word XP/2003 & Greek characters with accents

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »