Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
May 14, 2007

I translated a document containing images and a variety of text boxes in TagEditor and cleaned it up. No problem as far as I've noticed.

Due to the fact that German tends to be a good deal longer than the English source, I need to enlarge and move some of the text boxes around within the translated/cleaned Word document.

In this process, one of the text boxes I had to copy to another page appeared ten or so times in three different places. Two of these instances occurred on the page I'm still having problems with, and replaced the original text box that I'm now trying to re-create. I deleted the stray duplicates, but I cannot copy/paste or re-create the original text box.

No matter what I try, Word crashes.
I've tried
- copy/paste from another copy > I get the box without the text
- insert new text box > I get a box, but cannot type any text inside.

Any further manipulative attempts result in a crash.

Does anyone have any suggestsion what else to try and/or what might have caused this problem?
It is, of course, possible that it is Trados related...

Thanks!!

Windows XP Pro, Trados 2006, Word 2000

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:21
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
you may have a bloated word file, May 15, 2007

... so I would save it as RTF first (check if the the file gets smaller this way). By "bloat" I mean all kinds of backup copies, deadwood etc that get accumulated in doc files with time.

Also, I'd - just in case - pretranslate and clean again, so that you "come clean", as regards TRADOS. Set this file aside and use it as a fallback material.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 15, 2007

I was able to insert a new text box in the rtf file.

But smaller than the doc file?

The old (doc) file is under 4 mb (just as the English source file), the new (rtf) file is 60+ mb!

Reverting back to doc reduced it to its normal size. Let's hope that's all issues taken care of.

Thanks!

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
RTF > DOC: I've noticed that too! May 15, 2007

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

But smaller than the doc file?

The old (doc) file is under 4 MB, the new (rtf) file is 60+ MB!

Funnily enough, I noticed exactly the same thing myself the other day — the first time I've encountered this.

Could it be a bug in the latest patch of Word? I've noticed that during the course of successive 'Windows' updates, some old bugs in Word seem to have gotten miraculously fixed — and I suspect a few new ones introduced!

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
FWIW... May 16, 2007

A similar thing happened to me with a Word file using Word 2000: badly behaved as a .doc file, HUGE when saved as RTF. My guess would be that the Word formatting data had become corrupted (or at least highly convoluted and marginally stable at best).

In my case, I received another copy from the client and it was OK (don't know why). Opening the Word document iin Open Office and saving back to Word might be a good solution (it should generate the formatting data anew), but I haven't tried it.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Images create bloat May 16, 2007

Saving a DOC file as RTF will bloat the size if there are images in the original document:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224663

FWIW

Giles

Renato Pavicic
English to Croatian
+ ...
Similar problem May 17, 2007

Hi,

I have a similar problem as Heike, also on Word 2000 and using Trados 6.5. I was working on a file that contained hundreds of text boxes and pictures (both in-line and tight wrap) (btw, horrible to work with). First I translated "regular text", and later the text within text boxes. Everything seemed OK.
As I was simultaneously working on some other project as well, and that one was in PDF, I decided to experiment with PDF import option in +Tools for Wordfast (works without Wordfast). Now I'm not 100% sure it is related to +Tools, but it is possible that somehow my Normal.dot template got screwed up in the process.
When I decided to continue with my previous work, at first Word was not able to display pictures and text boxes. After few restarts, pictures and text boxes appeared, but each time I try to insert a text box - Word crashes.
I found out that I am able to copy/paste an existing text box, and then I realized that I have to click into an existing text box before trying to insert a new one. But it works only per page basis. If I want to inset a text box into any other page, I have to click an existing text box within new page. Otherwise, Word crashes again, regardless the fact that I was able to insert a new text box into previous page.
Saving to rtf did not help. Same problem.
Also, option "Recover my work" does not help.

BR
Renato

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to insert text box

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search