Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Word count in Power Point
Thread poster: Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 02:08
Jun 28, 2007

A very silly question probably: how do I count the words I have translated in PowerPoint? I'm trying to select the words which are yet untranslated, just like I would do in Word, but I'm unable to do it (i.e. I'm only able to select slide-by-slide).
I'm not using TRADOS for this project by the way...
Any help much appreciated!

Best,
Eva


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:08
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Eva Jun 29, 2007

For the complete word-count go to File > Properties > Statistics, but this may not show the text in some textboxes that were added manually. However, if you want to see only the number of translated words, I don't know how you can do that in PowerPoint. If this is something you can do in Word, maybe you can just save the file as Outline/RTF and then do it the way you know.

You can also probably do this: Go to the Outline tab. This is one of the two tabs -- "Outline" and "Slides" -- that you can see on the left of your screen. When the Slides tab is selected you can see the icons of your slides. If you select the Outline tab, you'll see the text outside the slides. There you can just select some part of the text, copy and paste it in Word and count the words.

I hope this helps.

Henry


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 10:08
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
PowerPoint2Doc Jun 29, 2007

Hi Eva,

I find this little PowerPoint add in very useful for complete word counts.
http://ginstrom.com/software/powerpoint2doc/

Basically it adds an Export to Word button to PowerPoint and it exports all text - including text boxes etc. ect. then you can run a Word Count from the Tools menu in Word.

There are a few other useful tools on that page as well.

Hope that helps!
Owen


Direct link Reply with quote
 

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
Hi Gentleman! Jun 29, 2007

How would you think if I would like to suggest you just to go to File Menu then down to Send To, on the right select Microsoft Word? ... Consequently, you would be able to do word count on MS Word rather than on MS PowerPoint. I hope that you enjoy trying to do so and it may be helpful. Good Luck ...

Vibol Keo



emoreda wrote:

A very silly question probably: how do I count the words I have translated in PowerPoint? I'm trying to select the words which are yet untranslated, just like I would do in Word, but I'm unable to do it (i.e. I'm only able to select slide-by-slide).
I'm not using TRADOS for this project by the way...
Any help much appreciated!

Best,
Eva


Direct link Reply with quote
 

casey
United States
Local time: 21:08
Member
Japanese to English
This is the best Jun 29, 2007

Owen Davies wrote:

Hi Eva,

I find this little PowerPoint add in very useful for complete word counts.
http://ginstrom.com/software/powerpoint2doc/

Basically it adds an Export to Word button to PowerPoint and it exports all text - including text boxes etc. ect. then you can run a Word Count from the Tools menu in Word.

There are a few other useful tools on that page as well.

Hope that helps!
Owen


I agree. This is the best way to do it. Using the "properties" in PowerPoint itself gives different word counts for different versions of PowerPoint. That can be frustrating if the client does not have the same version.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

amalea
Lebanon
Local time: 04:08
French to English
+ ...
easy or not Jun 29, 2007

Vibol... I totally agree with you!!!!

also, same as Trados for MS word, there is a special program for powerpoint called ppt:

ppt.helper is a CAT tool that helps language professionals translate MS PowerPoint presentations.
Being a compact and easy-to-use, ppt.helper is extremely effective and fast in handling presentations. It ensures terminological consistency and accuracy in any project, regardless of the size and language combination.
ppt.helper operates as a stand-alone application and is compatible with Trados, Wordfast and other professional language software packages.

Check www.soft-for-translators.com


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Deschant
Local time: 02:08
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 4, 2007

Thank you very much for all your answers, both here at the forum and by private message - I indeed have now plenty of options!

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Anic
Local time: 03:08
Russian to English
Word count in Power Point Jul 23, 2007

Hi! may be i writing some off-top, but i what to tell u that i found very good prog for converting Ppt to video, it's VisiPPT at visifly.com
Good luck!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
glamoclija
Local time: 20:08
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Not so easy installation Oct 11, 2007

I went to http://ginstrom.com/software/powerpoint2doc/ as suggested and downloaded the program, but I still do not know how to use it. I do not see the button nor in Power Point nor in Word for use of this word count. What am I missing? Thank you. Natasa - nglamoclija@yahoo.com

Direct link Reply with quote
 
gexy
English
VisiPPT Nov 8, 2007

Anic wrote:

Hi! may be i writing some off-top, but i what to tell u that i found very good prog for converting Ppt to video, it's VisiPPT at visifly.com
Good luck!

I found your post in the search and want to suggest this great prog too!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edward LIU  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Unseen texts are lost during conversion to word Jun 1, 2008

Can anyone tell me why the texts in some slides in a powerpoint file can be seen from the outline view, while the texts from other sides cannot be seen? I lost those unseen texts when I convert powerpoint file to word using 'Send to Microsoft Word'. Thanks.



[quote]VIBOL KEO wrote:

How would you think if I would like to suggest you just to go to File Menu then down to Send To, on the right select Microsoft Word? ... Consequently, you would be able to do word count on MS Word rather than on MS PowerPoint. I hope that you enjoy trying to do so and it may be helpful. Good Luck ...

Vibol Keo


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ryan Ginstrom
Local time: 10:08
Japanese to English
Problem with PPT2Word Jun 2, 2008

glamoclija wrote:

I went to http://ginstrom.com/software/powerpoint2doc/ as suggested and downloaded the program, but I still do not know how to use it. I do not see the button nor in Power Point nor in Word for use of this word count. What am I missing? Thank you. Natasa - nglamoclija@yahoo.com


Late reply, but check Tools >> Toolbars and make sure that the toolbar is checked.

Another software utility that will count the words in PowerPoint files is CountAnything:
ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gexy
English
** Aug 7, 2008

Anic wrote:

Hi! may be i writing some off-top, but i what to tell u that i found very good prog for converting Ppt to video, it's VisiPPT at visifly.com
Good luck!


Btw, another good tool, I've just tried is Presentation To Video Converter!
It converts quickly, without quality loss. I like it!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gafagen
Italy
Local time: 03:08
French to English
+ ...
Another tip for Word Count in ppt text boxes Feb 24, 2010

I've also found another slightly round about way to include the text box text in your word/character count: I saved my ppt file as a pdf document. Using the Foxit reader (a fantastic alternative to Adobe) I then saved the file as a .txt, then opened it in Word and was able to see the text not counted in Power Point, and use the same statistics criteria (characters with or without spaces, words, etc.) as I use for Word files. Also if you usually bill by characters without spaces, as a rule of thumb I found that you get about the same count when you multiply the words by 5.7

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
Local time: 02:08
Member
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What do I Tell My Client? Sep 18, 2010

I saw so many posts on how to count words in PowerPoint that I don't know what to tell my client (in fact, I didn't know word count in PP was such an issue). These are the results I got from the same file with different applications:

1. Studio 2009: 1,640 words
2. Office 2007: 1,218 words
3. Office 2010: 1,218 words
4. Practiline: 1,603 words
5. Outline/RTF 1,605 words

The difference between Office and Outline/RTF, which my client will probably be able to use, is substantial (I don't want to refer them to software they don't own). Has anyone out there ever faced the same dilemma? How did you get out of it? Will a client readily accept the Outline/RTF results? How realistic is the Studio 2009 count?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in Power Point

Advanced search






Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search