Changing dictionary in MS Word
Thread poster: Ina Wilms (X)
Ina Wilms (X)
Ina Wilms (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
English to German
Jul 3, 2007

When I receive a text in English as a Word file the English dictionary is activated. After I have translated it with Trados I cannot switch to my German dictionary so spellchecking is somewhat different.
Does somebody know how I can switch over from the English to the German dictionary in MS Word?

Thanks
Ina

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-03 06:54]

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Solution Jul 3, 2007

If I understand you correctly, this is what you should do to change language (I use English Word terminology):

1. Select all text (Ctrl+A).
2. Select Tools, then Language, then Select Language.
3. Hit F7 to spellcheck.

Done...

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word switches automatically Jul 3, 2007

if the text is formatted as German. If Trados hasn't done this correctly you have to mark the text and format it accordingly under "Extras - Sprache - Sprache festlegen" (sorry, don't have the English menus at hand).

If your text is still uncleaned just hide the hidden text and mark all before applying the German language format to it.
When you now use spell-checking, Microsoft uses the German dictionary.

As far as I know, Word also saves the terms in your persona
... See more
if the text is formatted as German. If Trados hasn't done this correctly you have to mark the text and format it accordingly under "Extras - Sprache - Sprache festlegen" (sorry, don't have the English menus at hand).

If your text is still uncleaned just hide the hidden text and mark all before applying the German language format to it.
When you now use spell-checking, Microsoft uses the German dictionary.

As far as I know, Word also saves the terms in your personal dictionary with language information.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing dictionary in MS Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »