Thread poster: Albertina Avdic
Albertina Avdic
Albertina Avdic  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:15
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jul 20, 2007

I worked on two different versions of the documents in two different folders and then wanted to compare the two versions (in Word), but this version of Word (XP) no longer appears to have the compare function.

It is listed on the Tools menu, but when I select it, it only offers merge, not compare.
Should I switch to another version,? Which one to choose. Word 2007 looks horrible. Word 2003 perhaps.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:15
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
'Merge' is exactly what you need Jul 20, 2007

You will be asked if you would like to see the changes in a new file or in one of the opened files (i.e. the files you are comparing). I personally always prefer doing this in a new file (this way both initial files are left intact).

[Edited at 2007-07-20 08:44]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
beware... Jul 20, 2007

Unless MS has suddenly had a change of heart and seriously revised the document comparison function for the XP version of Word, it has major problems with documents containing graphics or tables and more or less serious difficulties with large or highly formatted documents.

You certainly shouldn't regard the results of Word document comparison as accurate without carefully checking a few samples manually.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Nothing to beware Jul 20, 2007

This function works as a charm in both XP and 2003 versions.

Albertina Avdic
Albertina Avdic  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:15
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try Jul 20, 2007

Natalie - thank you for your help. I did try to 'merge' function after 'compare' did not work. The formatting (quite a few images, text boxes and a table) got all messed up, so I still think that there is a problem and do not know how to fix it. When using this function on a very large documents with a lot of graphics (like manuals) it can be annoying. Ken is correct about that.

Ken - I certainly do not consider the results of Word document comparison as accurate. This is just a "
... See more
Natalie - thank you for your help. I did try to 'merge' function after 'compare' did not work. The formatting (quite a few images, text boxes and a table) got all messed up, so I still think that there is a problem and do not know how to fix it. When using this function on a very large documents with a lot of graphics (like manuals) it can be annoying. Ken is correct about that.

Ken - I certainly do not consider the results of Word document comparison as accurate. This is just a "general check" for me and after that manual checking!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compare function in Word XP

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »